Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine choice
Hi I'm getting a Multispace for my upcoming dog walking business, but am leaning more towards 1.6 petrol as feel they are likely to get less faults than diesel?  
Another  option is the  1.4 but is it underpowered and are the diesels generally ok with full history?
However, 1.6hdi, 2.0 hdi,1.9d.......... Choices,choices???
Looking to spend up to 2-2.5k.
I don't intend doing many miles mainly local to collect dogs and drive to the park, most important is air con. advice greatly received, thanks
For that sort of money you should get a decent one but just remember that there are loads out there and there should be plenty of choice for you.

Local chugging around - 1.9d is great for this and tremendously reliable but a touch slow. Test drive one they are good.

beyond that I'd say petrol, either is good and they generally go for a fair bit less than diesel versions so bargains to be had.
check the fuel economy of both 1.4 and 1.6 urban.

personally I'd leave the other engines alone, 1.6 and 2.0 are good engines but not really ideal for local chugging along.

let us know how you get on.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • Jelevents
I don't know anything about dog walking, but surely you need to carry umpteen dogs in a spacious vehicle, which they can mess up and chew the interior of, to their hearts content? I think that I'd go for something bigger than a Berlingo, say a Vauxhall Vivaro, or a Mercedes Sprinter?
(03-06-2016, 08:23 PM)geoff Wrote:  For that sort of money you should get a decent one but just remember that there are loads out there and there should be plenty of choice for you.

Local chugging around - 1.9d is great for this and tremendously reliable but a touch slow. Test drive one they are good.

beyond that I'd say petrol, either is good and they generally go for a fair bit less than diesel versions so bargains to be had.
check the fuel economy of both 1.4 and 1.6 urban.

personally I'd leave the other engines alone, 1.6 and 2.0 are good engines but not really ideal for local chugging along.
Thanks Geoff that's very helpful as I had dismissed the 1.9

let us know how you get on.
(03-06-2016, 09:04 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  I don't know anything about dog walking, but surely you need to carry umpteen dogs in a spacious vehicle, which they can mess up and chew the interior of, to their hearts content? I think that I'd go for something bigger than a Berlingo, say a Vauxhall Vivaro, or a Mercedes Sprinter?

Hi Jim well the dogs will be in crates in the back (seats removed) and will only have 4/5 dogs at most, as insurance generally does not cover more when walking, plus 5 large dogs can be a real handful, any more is madness.
So generally the Berlingo fits the bill.
I found that a van works well for dogs as there are less windows so less affected by heat issues in summer, also being white makes another big difference.

When I had a white van ( now got the car ) my dogs never got affected by heat and neither did my wife and I even in the hottest of weather and never considered the need for A/C then but now with the car version A/C is a must as the glass roof and extra side glass windows allow heat to build up rapidly.

Just my views on heat and dogs ... hope it helps
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

This one looks ok from the advert ebay 162089909544 ..... white car with aircon - best of both worlds.

Price will go lower as he asks for offers,

Twin sliding doors but you probably won't ever use them unless the crates are removed.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Hello Jelevents welcome to the forum Smile for your job i would go for the petrol that will serve you better .
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Can someone explain why a petrol will be better than a 2.0Hdi Multispace with air-con?

Less economy, less power, less torque - will need revving harder with a full load, higher tax, and the 2.0Hdi is ultra reliable as long as it's had its belts changed on time.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Short trips all the time for diesel not good, I think that's why their saying your better with a petrol engine,