Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] flood damage
Hi , the engine (1.9 dw8) took in water in a local flood recently. It bent at least two rods. Does anybody have any experience with this and is it likely that the pistons would now be distorted and rings damaged as well. I suspect the crank would be ok but any good information would be most grateful .
I know I will need to take the head off to inspect but the van now is parked in a muddy field and am thinking of scrapping it.
Btw the valves open and close apparently ok with no sticking ,when actuated by hand. The engine only has 120k on it and just had a new timing belt kit and clutch assembly and was driving perfect.
Just wondering if I might get away with a second hand set of con rods ??
If it starts okay it will be down on power and smoke a bit but i have seen 1.9s run for years like this. Sometimes you have to put the glow plugs on twice to start them but one they have started they will run all day if the conrods are not too bent.

If the rods are very bent then you will get away with just new rods - the 1.9 is one tough engine.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • briege
I had a similar experience some years ago with my ZX Volcane, the insurance co wrote it off. If you want to repair, I guess another engine is the way to go. Sudden stoppage like that will cause devastating damage to many components.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Solent for this post:
  • briege
(24-01-2016, 08:29 PM)polar Wrote:  If it starts okay it will be down on power and smoke a bit but i have seen 1.9s run for years like this. Sometimes you have to put the glow plugs on twice to start them but one they have started they will run all day if the conrods are not too bent.

If the rods are very bent then you will get away with just new rods - the 1.9 is one tough engine.

Thanks for the quick reply buddy. I pulled the sump and got a gander up the cylinders. One rod well mangled and another bent. So I'm thinking the piston may also be deformed.
Do you know anywhere I could get a cheap set of rods and maybe standard size pistons Polar . I'd love to get her goin again.
(24-01-2016, 08:31 PM)Solent Wrote:  I had a similar experience some years ago with my ZX Volcane, the insurance co wrote it off. If you want to repair, I guess another engine is the way to go. Sudden stoppage like that will cause devastating damage to many components.

Solent thanks for the reply.
 Yes, that's obviously the way to go but due to the vans location and the fact that the engine was sweet, I'd like to try and repair it. If the damage is just confined to the rods, it should be possible.
Anytime I see these engines for sale the sellers are usually looking for as much as a whole van for them.
Just looking for some info from people who know these engines if I can get it.
Thanks again.
You'll chase your tail with this one better to get another engine, swap over the timing kit ( and water pump if you changed it ) and of course reuse the clutch.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • briege
(24-01-2016, 09:46 PM)briege Wrote:  
(24-01-2016, 08:29 PM)polar Wrote:  If it starts okay it will be down on power and smoke a bit but i have seen 1.9s run for years like this. Sometimes you have to put the glow plugs on twice to start them but one they have started they will run all day if the conrods are not too bent.

Thanks for the quick reply buddy. I pulled the sump and got a gander up the cylinders. One rod well mangled and another bent. So I'm thinking the piston may also be deformed.
Do you know anywhere I could get a cheap set of rods and maybe standard size pistons Polar . I'd love to get her goin again.

I think Geoff's right if the rods are that bent better to get a replacement short engine or total engine. You are going to struggle to find good replacement parts unless you get new at a wallet breaking cost.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • briege
If you need to fit a second hand piston the size will be difficult due to size grading of original pistons to the original bore and wear on the rings / bore being different on each engine even being oval perhaps !
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • briege
(24-01-2016, 09:54 PM)geoff Wrote:  You'll chase your tail with this one better to get another engine, swap over the timing kit ( and water pump if you changed it ) and of course reuse the clutch.

Geoff you may well be right, just don't have the lifting gear for an engine swap , neither transport to shift the new engine if I find one .The location the van is in precludes it as well.
Furthermore, I'd imagine these may be thin on the ground with mileage under 150k, buying a second hand engine is a risky business unless you know the vehicle it came out of and can hear it running. Plus the fact that I'd imagine I'd have to find one with the same pump to avoid all sorts of ecu problems.
The main thing I'm wondering about is if the pistons are distorted, if this is the case then as you said I may run into too many problems. Not being familiar with these engines I presumed that there was standard and maybe two or three oversize pitons I'd imagine most are on original standard pistons and are marked oversize but is this not the case?
I guess if the head is nt cracked valves and guides ok and the pistons not cracked or distorted a standard set of second hand rods using my old shells might be worth a try?
Anyway, I'll strip them out and have a look, whatever I'll be getting shot of that low airfilter box and mounting a k & n nice and high or better still by a pair of waders.
(25-01-2016, 12:51 AM)polar Wrote:  
(24-01-2016, 09:46 PM)briege Wrote:  

I think Geoff's right if the rods are that bent better to get a replacement short engine or total engine. You are going to struggle to find good replacement parts unless you get new at a wallet breaking cost.