Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Engine locking kit
Hello

I have a 54 plate berlingo 1.9, soon I will be doing a cam belt change and probably waterpump. I'm a truck mechanic so have all the tools and stuff but can anyone recommend a reliable engine locking kit please.
Thanks George
(03-03-2013, 05:43 PM)GEORGEMXR Wrote:  Hello

I have a 54 plate berlingo 1.9, soon I will be doing a cam belt change and probably waterpump. I'm a truck mechanic so have all the tools and stuff but can anyone recommend a reliable engine locking kit please.
Thanks George

Hi im a truck mechanic also:wave:

When I’ve done them the only tool I purchased was the one for the fly wheel - its an angled 8 or 10mm bar (can’t remember which one) that saves you removing the starter motor, sikes Pickavant is the make I purchased and its fine.

The cam and the pump will need locking but you can just use 8mm bolts for this, I cut the heads off for the pump and wind nuts down to make sure they don’t move.

I’ve done a fair few like this and it works a treat.

It helps to have someone turn the engine when locking the flywheel and just in case you don’t know the pulley bolt is tread locked so it helps if you apply some heat to the bolt to melt the thread lock then it will come undone no worries with an air gun.
Hope this helps
That's great, that's for the advise :thumbsup:
I use a drill bit for the camshaft and pump locations as they are made to a more exact size than a bolt shank so you get a more precise location / timing and as that well known supermarket says " every little helps ""
That tool that saves you removing the starter motor ( without having the book to remind me - I'm in work ) surely that is for the flywheel / crankshaft location and not for locking the crankshaft ? I wouldn't do it that way. Anyway, I'd check this before you start just in case.
I made a tool for locking the crank out of a piece of angled steel with a couple of holes drilled in it, have a tooth shape filed onto the mating face to engage the ring gear.
My 2005 1.9 has a pump pin of 6mm, cam pin of 8mm, flywheel / crank locking pin of 8mm and a crankshaft sprocket ( floating type ) of 2mm placed on the LHS of the crank woodruff key.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
No the fly wheel locking tool is not for locking the engine to remove the pully bolt only to time it up!

The tool for this slots into the ring gear to lock the engine, however if you have access to a air gun and im prety sure George will have being a truck mechanic you do not need to lock the engine to remove the pully bolt, if like i say you give it a bit of heat first.
If i'm doing a 1.4 petrol engine on a berlingo then where do I need to lock the engine??
It's in the pages of CitroJim you were looking at before - on the head you slip in a shortish 10mm diameter bolt through the cam pulley, in the block you pin the flywheel through a small hole on the front where it starts to flare out towards the clutch housing. A 5mm steel dowel works well.
(06-03-2013, 01:25 PM)addo Wrote:  It's in the pages of CitroJim you were looking at before - on the head you slip in a shortish 10mm diameter bolt through the cam pulley, in the block you pin the flywheel through a small hole on the front where it starts to flare out towards the clutch housing. A 5mm steel dowel works well.

Aaah, I see. Thanks!