Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] turbo oil feed filter
Hi guys I am liking my just recently purchased 2011 1.6 hdi 75hp belingo ( 70000 miles on clock) and just done an oil and filter change. However - I have now read and heard of some real horror stories with turbo failure on this engine. Can anyone tell me how bad this really is and is the problem still prevalent on my 2011 engine. Is the turbo in line oil strainer, oil feed pipe and the banjo bolt still the same on my model - should the strainer be removed? Sorry for all these questions but I have already had a bad experience with my last diesel van, a vauxhall a combo, and I really want to avoid any potentially costly problems. I understand a turbo failure is pretty much fatal on these engines! Confused
(25-03-2015, 04:34 PM)bernie heerey Wrote:  Hi guys I am liking my just recently purchased 2011 1.6 hdi 75hp belingo ( 70000 miles on clock) and just done an oil and filter change. However - I have now read and heard of some real horror stories with turbo failure on this engine.  Can anyone  tell me how bad this really is and is the problem still prevalent on my 2011 engine.  Is the turbo in line oil strainer, oil feed pipe and the banjo bolt  still the same on my model - should the strainer be removed? Sorry for all these questions but I have already had a bad experience with my last diesel van, a vauxhall a combo, and I really want to avoid any potentially costly problems. I understand a turbo failure is pretty much fatal on these engines! Confused

Bernie - I've just had mine replaced along with oil pump pick up strainer ( in sump) new oil feed pipe to turbo and replacement of a leaking injector seal. In the oil feed to the turbo is a strainer. The new design of strainer has a much bigger surface area than the original and should be less prone to blockage. That's what is fitted to mine now. I will be checking the strainer at 500 miles and if it's clean I will check again at 6000 miles when I change the oil and filter. What I still struggle with is how anything which has passed the filter can cause a blockage. Mine wasn't actually fully blocked but the turbo still failed, so something is going on.

If your car is ok at present my advice would be tochange the oil every 6000 not the recommended 12000 and check for carbon build up at injectors which would indicate a leak. There is split opinion as to whether leaking injectors are part of the problem. Others will probably chime in to add to this, but I see no reason to ignore a leaking injector anyway. Perhaps at your next oil change you could check/replace the turbo feed strainer - but at 2011 yours might have later design already fitted. Some people take the strainer out. I elected to leave mine in and will check it every 6000 miles until I'm absolutely sure there is no material coming forward. 

From what I've been able to gather from the Internet, the repeat failures some people get are because the engine has got so clogged with old oil that it's very hard to get it clean, and a thorough clean up of oil feed line etc has not been done. Get stuck into preventive measures and you should be OK.

That's my experience for what it's worth!
I don't know the specifics on these engines but if the (main) oil filter has an overpressure release valve, they often release when the oil is cold and thick or at high revs. Quite a few engines are going back to bypass filtering instead of full-flow as well, this means only a proportion of the oil goes through the filter. It seems that filtering isn't the catch-all we hope for.
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
ive met and talked with 7 people with b9 shape berlingo/partner vans on sites, 5 had no problems, 2 said they are a load of crap because the turbo went, neither were oil serviced properly and one said he had no idea what oil he just gets his mate to do it, I do mine every 6-7000. I believe the later 1.6hdi in the b9 had a better oil system to the earlier m59 shape van and are less prone to failure
Had my XTR 90 for a fortnight and am thinking of changing the oil as a precaution (even though the dealer (not Citroen) insists it has been done). Is the consensus to change it and the filter, every 6,000 miles?
I'd forgotten just how quickly the oil goes black on a diesel!
Keep the Berlingo well serviced oil and oil filter a lot of short trip's 6000 mile's if you do longer trip's every 8000 mile's if you go to the dealer ask them they will be able to tell you which filter you have in the oil feed you can get a new one and change it then you can see the what the old one look's like i you don't have a FAP / DPF it's not to hard to do if you have one you'll have to remove it to get to the banjo bolt's a pain it just takes longer if it's clean you don't have to worry one last thing use the right oil
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(13-04-2015, 10:10 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Keep the Berlingo well serviced oil and oil filter a lot of short trip's 6000 mile's if you do longer trip's every 8000 mile's if you go to the dealer ask them they will be able to tell you which filter you have in the oil feed you can get a new one and change it then you can see the what the old one look's like i you don't have a FAP / DPF it's not to hard to do if you have one you'll have to remove it to get to the banjo bolt's a pain it just takes longer if it's clean you don't have to worry one last thing use the right oil

Following on from my previous post, I checked my in line filter at 500 miles and it was spotless, so next check will be at 6000 mile oil change. Took me a while (didn't actually time it) this first time, but next time will be around 1.5 hrs. Biggest nuisance was the heat shield round the cat. with the potential for radiator damage. Note also, there is a stud for the heat shield on the front of the cat. beautifully designed and positioned to punch a hole in your radiator. You have been warned!
PS I don't have a PAF, just the cat, so that makes mine a bit easier.
Thanks again to those who gave advice when my turbo failed.