Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Exporting the Berlingo to South Africa
Hi
Were thinking of moving to South Africa
towards the end of this year maybe sooner if we can get the immigration permits sorted quickly.
Was thinking of maybe shipping the Car over with some personal effects etc
Have had a look around various Forums and was wondering if anyone on the Berlingo Forum knew of anyone who has completed the Shipping & Importation side.
The One I have is over 3 Years old so I'm not sure if it's eligible for Import Duty and how much that would be.
Thanks for any advice
Regards
Ian
Hope you get the advice you require, and best of luck- but.....brain drain from UK etc. lol.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to taxi for this post:
  • killie77
I'd be talking to a ZA based car club that includes newer vehicles. Instinct says a car with typical early stage UK corrosion would have poor resale so you'd be looking at whether it was in your mind to keep it (say) five or more years...

Otherwise have to add - gutsy move, not generally considered good unless you've lucrative employment lined up.
Good point on the corrosion. Might look in to having it under sealed
all depends on whether or not it's viable to ship it over.
Well be going on a Temporary Residence visa. Allows you to stay for 2 years, before applying for a Permanent Visa
I've read that the temporary visa
allows you to import one vehicle without paying Import duty or Vat.
but i'm not sure, sounds to good to be true. Will need to do some more research to find out for certain.
As far as employment goes that is a big problem in SA
but were looking to retire have relatives over their been quite a few times over the years.
Might do some work for my Brother he has a Mining /Engineering company
although legally i'm not allowed to work for the 2 Years of my residence permit, will see how that goes :whistle:
Thanks
Ian
On modern cars corrosion isn't a problem.I personally go over the underbody seam etc with Waxoyl.Another tip is to hose the underside after driving on salted roads,but only if it's above freezing.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Well done some more research in to shipping the Car
and the conclusion is with the Shipping Charges and Import Duties
I would be paying nearly as much as the Car cost me here. Then their's the registering it over their plus Insurance costs and their version of an MOT.
Have a little 125 Honda Scooter might try and sneak that through in my suitcase after I've dismantled it
Thanks for all the replies and advice
Ian H
Having a look through the Gumtree listings local to your intended area, will give a good idea of what sort of prices local cars are worth. A quick surf suggests to me, an '07 Berlingo is equal to £5K. :eek:

I've got the impression that car clubs are often a little more proactive there than the UK (or Australia) so an investment in networking might pay dividends with better value for money - although the fleet age is, like Oz, greater than the UK.
Thanks addo
Had a look on Autotrder SA and the newest berlingo i coud find was 05 think it was Mark 2 that was about £5500
had a look on Citroen SA website they don't list Berlingo's even as a new car purchase
So if I had taken it over I might have had the only Mk3 Berlingo in SA
Looking on the bright side weather over their has to be better than in Scotland.
Regards
Ian H