Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fan belt tensioner
My daughters berlingo trashed [the belt didnt break but shredded two vees from the side] the alternator/ steering pump drive belt and I have fitted a new one however the belt misaligns over the steering pump once the engine is started.
I thought it was the bearing in the belt tensioner but this is good. is it possible that the spring loaded mounting could be worn/damaged causing the belt to misalign. is this a common problem in older vehiclesSad
:whistle:
(08-05-2012, 10:44 AM)ctomlins Wrote:  My daughters berlingo trashed [the belt didnt break but shredded two vees from the side] the alternator/ steering pump drive belt and I have fitted a new one however the belt misaligns over the steering pump once the engine is started.
I thought it was the bearing in the belt tensioner but this is good. is it possible that the spring loaded mounting could be worn/damaged causing the belt to misalign. is this a common problem in older vehiclesSad

if its ok over the other pulleys i would check the bearing in the steering pump
(08-05-2012, 11:29 AM)lorraine Wrote:  :whistle:
(08-05-2012, 10:44 AM)ctomlins Wrote:  My daughters berlingo trashed [the belt didnt break but shredded two vees from the side] the alternator/ steering pump drive belt and I have fitted a new one however the belt misaligns over the steering pump once the engine is started.

if its ok over the other pulleys i would check the bearing in the steering pump
Hi Lorraine,
i had exactly the same thing a few years ago and it was the steering pump bearing.:S
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Robbie G for this post:
  • lorraine
Had something the same on mine, if you drop the belt off and there is no play in the pas pump(pump will move in and out on the shaft, but you don't want it flopping around).
Look at the tensioner as the bearing will be ok but the spring load arm will be slight on the piss to the mounting as its worn and this throws or loads up the belt against the next drive wheel, knackering the belt, sometimes this is missed on the tensioner as it has a smooth drive wheel which as there is no groves does not look out of line.
Sorry about the long winded reply, see how you get on
i replaced the tensioner with the belt.to avoid taking it down twice not really expensive.