Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 3.47 Average
FLUID ON TOP OF GEAR BOX
Hi all,
I have a fluid leak which pools in on top of the gearbox casing around the transmission selector?
Thought fluid was gear box oil but the colour is more like brake fluid?
Any ideas where this fluid is comming from?

regards nick
Hi, I used to get this as well, mine was gearbox oil coming from the breather after long journeys. Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
hi Rustscrat, thankyou for your reply, where is the breather? would that be the gearbox breather?
hi al,l any ideas?
(02-05-2012, 10:14 AM)p63500s Wrote:  hi al,l any ideas?

what age , type, petrol or diesel ?
Confusedcratch:
I have a 96 partner and the gearbox breather is on the top of the gearbox near the linkages. It is like a round plastic button that turns easily and is loose, between the reversing light switch and the gear linkage /clutch shaft
let us know
    Hi there, the lingo its a 99 reg 1.9d five speed, I have had a look again and taken a photo cant see a the plastic button thing?

oh, photo is upside down.
regards nick

this a better photo from the front of the engine/passenger side. You can see the oil/fluid reflections in the photo, is the breather one of these nuts in the pic?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The breather is the top hat looking nut at the bottom right of your last picture so it's not coming from there.
Looking at your change lever and the mark on the cable just above it I would say it's dripping from above. Confusedcratch:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(02-05-2012, 05:51 PM)p63500s Wrote:  Hi there, the lingo its a 99 reg 1.9d five speed, I have had a look again and taken a photo cant see a the plastic button thing?

regards nick

this a better photo from the front of the engine/passenger side. You can see the oil/fluid reflections in the photo, is the breather one of these nuts in the pic?

Looking at mine the vacumn pump for the brakes is just above that puddle. (Your big white thing in the photo foreground??? )My one has a small leak from the seal where the pump mounts on the cylinder head, Has yours got a big leak? Confusedcratch:

(02-05-2012, 07:14 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  
(02-05-2012, 05:51 PM)p63500s Wrote:  Hi there, the lingo its a 99 reg 1.9d five speed, I have had a look again and taken a photo cant see a the plastic button thing?

regards nick

Looking at mine the vacumn pump for the brakes is just above that puddle. (Your big white thing in the photo foreground??? )My one has a small leak from the seal where the pump mounts on the cylinder head, Has yours got a big leak? Confusedcratch:

just reread your original post , it may be brake fluid being pumped out, It is possible for the brake fluid to leak into the servo unit from the master cylinder and possibly being sucked into the vacumn pump then expelled onto the g/box cover, Is your brake fluid level ok?
Hi, that mark on the cable was done by me when i diped a rag in there to see what colour the oil/fluid was.

hi brodfather11, i will check the brake fluid level, thanks for the advice. The colour of the fluid is of a more brake fluid in colour then the redish gearbox oil, so you might be on to something here.
my brake fluid is fine/ not leaking. I think it must be gear oil leaking from where the control arm enters the top of the gear box housing?