Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.13 Average
Facia panel removal....anybody know how?
Hi All,

It's that bit of facia with the window switches on and in particular the 'round blanks'. I would like to remove one of these and put in an additional cigar lighter socket for my satnav rather than trail the lead down to the fitted sockets. I obviously need to remove this small bit of facia but how?

I've lots of experience with classic cars but when it comes to the modern car and plastic I'm not so good. Any advice much appreciated.Confusedcratch:
Hi, Is this any use?

.pdf   facia removal.pdf (Size: 245.72 KB / Downloads: 328)

Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • brajomobil, jobberwock, Jupiter, PaulC, philmccool
(09-06-2012, 01:10 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Hi, Is this any use?

Thankyou, That's a real helpConfusedalut:

So basically from what I can see, I just go straight to this small facia and prise it off? Do other folks agree with this and is there a trick....before I damage the plastic fixings?(something I'm quite good at! ConfusedillymeSmile

Confusedalut:
yeah looks like it just pries out mate, use something softer than the trim piece so you dont damage it, or find a small sucker from something and try using that to dislodge it.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • jobberwock
(10-06-2012, 09:58 AM)Zion Wrote:  yeah looks like it just pries out mate, use something softer than the trim piece so you dont damage it, or find a small sucker from something and try using that to dislodge it.

Thankyou and I've done it! Put some gaffer tape around the perimeter of the facia and used several dinner knives to slide in(carefully avoiding the management indoors!). Eventually it came off but did damage one of the three lugs on the top but that doesn't show and hasn't affected the refitting.

Don't think it will take a cigar lighter though. Not a lot of room and there is only a small square hole at the back of the blanking.

Back to the drawing board.
you may be able to fit the socket under the MFD tray. If you have the depth to take your ciggy socket then a hole saw could be used to make a neat fitting point for one. What about pulling another rubber capped one (like the 2nd one in the centre console) from a scrapper and fitting it there? Or take the lead down into the edge of the MFD tray and down behind the whole fascia, emerging in the clutter box at the bottom....then into the normal socket. Smile
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
  • jobberwock
(10-06-2012, 12:12 PM)Zion Wrote:  you may be able to fit the socket under the MFD tray. If you have the depth to take your ciggy socket then a hole saw could be used to make a neat fitting point for one. What about pulling another rubber capped one (like the 2nd one in the centre console) from a scrapper and fitting it there? Or take the lead down into the edge of the MFD tray and down behind the whole fascia, emerging in the clutter box at the bottom....then into the normal socket. Smile

THANKYOU. MFD tray suggestion is favourite at the moment. I'm gonna think about it. Am I the only one who is irritated by the satnav trailing wire?
nah mine annoys me too but I haven't decided where to fit it yet, I may end up putting the wire behind the fascia panels so no extra holes needed, just unclip the mfd tray and slacken the main fascia, then feed the power cable for the sat nav down the inside of the trim so it just appears from the edge of the mfd tray - file or cut a small notch in the edge so the tray sits ok. That way the 12v ciggy plug will lie in the crap tray at the bottom - hidden until needed.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
  • jobberwock
(10-06-2012, 01:22 PM)Zion Wrote:  nah mine annoys me too but I haven't decided where to fit it yet, I may end up putting the wire behind the fascia panels so no extra holes needed, just unclip the mfd tray and slacken the main fascia, then feed the power cable for the sat nav down the inside of the trim so it just appears from the edge of the mfd tray - file or cut a small notch in the edge so the tray sits ok. That way the 12v ciggy plug will lie in the crap tray at the bottom - hidden until needed.
Thanks ....that's given me an idea ! Cheers
have to send this to be able to download the answer in the top