Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Fault Codes with a smoking exhaust
Hi

I hope someone may help me.

I have a Peugeot which is puffing light smoke out of the exhaust. On diagnostic the codes coming back are as follows:

P0170 fuel injection
P0142 unknown code
P0171 unknown code

Today I have changed the lambada sensor pre-cat but the problem remains. Given the above codes what would the most likely fault be as I want to keep the amount of money spent to a minimum if possible.

Thnaks in advance to anyone who can help.
http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/powertrain.html

What are you using to read out the codes?

Which Pug Mk. do you have, and which engine is it in it?
My mechanic used some scan took. He basically tells me French cars are ****. I have details on the one code. Is the MAF sensor the same as the oxygen sensor or separate?

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0171
System Too Lean
What does this mean?
OBD Code P0171refers to
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1. Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0171
You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0171
A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: •The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. •There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible Solutions
Possible solutions include: •In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling •Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary •Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
Which engine do you have?

A 'MAF' sensor is generally found on the inlet manifold, close to the throttle housing. (At least on Gasoline engines)
It measures the amount of air that passes through the system, and is kind of a necessity for the ECU to know how much fuel to inject to get the correct mix.

Also, slap that amateur mechanic around the ears. Talking dirt about a customer's choice of car is highly unprofessional.
"My mechanic used some scan took. He basically tells me French cars are ****."
That translates to "I haven't the faintest idea about working on these cars, but I'll take your money
while pretending that they're really difficult to repair"
If he used the correct diagnostic equipment it would probably tell him much more than a generic reader.
Find another engineer.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool