Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Filters & Oil] Using Oil
I recently purchased a 2008 Berlingo with a small front impact, so a new near side drive, radiator and bumper later she is back on the road. She has been on the road about a month at this stage and she is using about a litre of oil a week, covering about 250-300 miles per week.

This seems like an excessive amount of oil, particularly as she drives fine, better than the 2007 van I already have and there isn't any smoke so I figured the oil must be either running into the gearbox (considering she took an impact on that side) or into the fuel system. So I checked both the fuel tank and the gear box and no, no sign of the missing oil, which brings me back to the question: is she burning all this oil, or where else could it be going??? And no there isn't puddles of oil on the ground where she is parked over night...

If she was burning that amount of oil I would imagine that there would be clouds of smoke out the tail pipe, but there isn't???

Any comments would be greatly appreciated??  
Is it a 1.6hdi or a 2.0hdi?
It's the 1.6 hdi.
An 08 1.6TDi will have a DPF.....wouldn't that suppress any oil smoke?
Just a thought...
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
What's a DPF??
(22-02-2015, 04:10 PM)Ol Wrote:  An 08 1.6TDi will have a DPF.....wouldn't that suppress any oil smoke?
Just a thought...

Not all 08's have a particulate filter the 75bp just have a cat.
(22-02-2015, 04:20 PM)prunty Wrote:  What's a DPF??

Particulate filter but your's may not have one.

If its a 1.6hdi with high milage i suspect the turbo could be passing oil and on its way out, this is where i would start - believe it or not they can burn quite a lot or oil this way before you notice any blue or white smoke.
Well the oil has to be going somewhere. I tend to agree with polar, a failed turbo inlet seal could result in the oil being consumed by the engine. It won't be going into the gearbox, unless it can magically bypass the clutch and certainly won't get into the fuel system!

How is the engine braking when coasting? it should slow considerably. If it is turbo related, beware as if it gets worse you may have an fatal engine runaway.

Early (2008) Mk IIIs only had DPFs fitted on XTR. 'Lesser' models such as my VTR does not, only the catalyst.
Me, being my cynical suspicious self, is now wondering if the seller knew about this and had it
diagnosed and the result was a worn turbo. Diesel runaway! Good Grief! Last thing you want to happen.

Here's a Peugeot with that problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_x6HeIpQs
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
If diesel runaway does happen to anyone, stall it by putting it in 5th gear, handbrake and footbrake hard on and lift the clutch pedal, try not to let it slide on the clutch too long so clutch fairly fast otherwise your clutch will burn out - likewise don't do it too quick unless you are good at catching engines in mid flight.

You can try blocking the exhaust (bunched up cloth eg t-shirt etc) which might slow it down a bit but its very hard to totally stop the engine but if there are two of you its good to do that at the same time as the clutch-stall to reduce the power the clutch has to lose.

The ideal way is to block the air inlet but its quite difficult to do it quickly and its dangerous being that close to a runaway engine.

If you stop it quick enough no damage will be done, if not the engine is probably a gonner - too many parts are damaged (bearings, con rods etc).
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles