Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First drive to home, are these normal?
I picked up my M59 2004 and on the way back home I noticed a few things and I dont know they are normal on these cars or there is some fault.
First, I know I have to change the brakes, they are worn and probably left hand side is binding.
On the motorway I was doing 70mph and the car was pulling on to the left side. When I braked no problem at all.
Another problem: when I turn right I turn the steering wheel right and it wants to turn back left but if I force it would stay there but still pulls back left. If I turn left doesnt want to do the same or there is just a little bit of pulling. When I brake while I turn right its almost gone or there is just a little pulling.
When I parked up, engine on idle I turned the steering wheel but not full lock, I released the wheel and it bounced back to the left and I heard a little knock, I tried 3 times, happened the same thing.
I am gonna change the brakes and I would take to a trail check.
Apart from that, she drives well, no excessive noise from the engine, clutch is sweet, I went on some bouncy roads and into some potholes, no knock no noise at all and the ride was pleasant.
Thanks a lot
It sounds like the steering is out so may be worth getting the tracking done also the steering can get stiff because the universal joint at the bottom of the column dries out. look over the back of the engine and you will see it, spray it with a good sticky grease like chain lube or something. Check tyre pressures also.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
You really should state the mileage of the vehicle, when detailing a problem, as the registration year is not sufficient on its own i.e. I once had a 3 year old "10 plate" Berlingo which had 300,000 miles on the clock! Problems are often mileage related, so this can help the experts on here (not me!) pin point the cause.
Yeah, sorry I forgot the mileage, it is 109.000.
The steering is not stiff however im gonna grease the joint just to prevent any problem!
The tyre pressure seems ok, but ill check tomorrow
Underneath there is an orange bag, cut it and get rid of it. Voila the steering is no longer pulling against you. Grease the shaft to prevent dirt from getting in. Your brake problem you need to work out yourself. Reasons for pulling is either caliper fault, pads, maybe even buckled wheel. Swapping rears to the fronts for a quick test is free and a bit of your time but will eliminate the buckle problem.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kokain for this post:
  • Tpeti
It sounds like a brake caliper is sticking, this would explain the vehicle pulling to the left and would explain why it does not want to self centre when you turn left. Sort your brakes and you may find that the other faults are cured at the same time.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JohnM for this post:
  • Tpeti
I would start with the UJ and work out from there with the vehicle jacked up both sides.
Sounds like one or both spring top mounts if it's springing back when stationary. The top mounts include a "bearing" so when you turn the steering and the strut swivels, the top mount allows it all to turn as one assembly.
If it has seized, then the strut and bottom end of spring will turn and the top of spring won't turn, so the spring starts to act like a clock spring- hence springing back with a clonk twanging noise
(05-04-2016, 07:06 PM)Col Wrote:  Sounds like one or both spring top mounts if it's springing back when stationary. The top mounts include a "bearing" so when you turn the steering and the strut swivels, the top mount allows it all to turn as one assembly.
If it has seized, then the strut and bottom end of spring will turn and the top of spring won't turn, so the spring starts to act like a clock spring- hence springing back with a clonk twanging noise
Are you talking the suspension spring or there another in the steering rack? Sorry these are new to me.
(05-04-2016, 07:39 PM)Tpeti Wrote:  
(05-04-2016, 07:06 PM)Col Wrote:  Sounds like one or both spring top mounts if it's springing back when stationary. The top mounts include a "bearing" so when you turn the steering and the strut swivels, the top mount allows it all to turn as one assembly.
Are you talking the suspension spring or there another in the steering rack? Sorry these are new to me.

Coil suspension spring