Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.15 Average
First post....engine swop
Hi Guys

Just looking for a little advise if possible. We have a multispace 1.9 DW8 engine i think) For a while it has been getting oil in the coolant but has run fine with no over heating issues. It has now done around 152k and yesterday it started making a noise like diesel knock while driving and lost a little power. I had a quick look and could not see any leaks etc but this morning it started for about 20 seconds then died and will not restart.

So i am thinking with the mileage being quite high and the oil in coolant issue that it may well be better to just change the engine. I have found a 75k lump at a good price. What i need to know is can the engine be changed without taking the gear box out or must they both come out together? Not changed a engine for a few years and the last was on a montego.

Any pointers on this please.

Thanks

John
Well it is running again now, air was being dragged into the fuel filter. I took the lid off and cleaned the seal and put ir back together and primed it up and it started first time and the knock was gone......still need to decide weather to take the head off and go down the route of skim and pressure test or just swop the engine.
(07-10-2011, 07:22 AM)Cyclops Wrote:  Hi Guys

can the engine be changed without taking the gear box out

John

For DW,DV and SOFIM engines this is not possible because of its dimensions.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pk7478 for this post:
  • ron
I did this a year ago on my Berlingo, also 1.9 DW8.

Its not a hard one to do, and I did it at home on the drive over a weekend. The only hold up was immob problems and I ended up swapping the origional injection pump over off the blown engine but then also had to swap injectors, both of which a pain doing in the vehicle (plus I had just done the cam belt with the new engine out of the vehicle, so frustating)

My advise is to avoid all this hassle and swap the pumps (new timing belt too) with the engines out of the car, it would be so much quicker. You only need to swap injectors if one pump is bosch and one is Lucas.

I also tried to do it with gearbox in situ, but it wont go. Just start out doing it the "hard" way as the "short cut" will take longer, IE drain box, pull out both drive shafts and go from there.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to danielhawkes for this post:
  • Cyclops, ron
Are you sure that the Head gasket is failing? Oil in coolant could also be the oil cooler behind the oil filter. This is a relatively easy fix.... Is there coolant in the oil also??
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Good morning and thank you for the reply's and info.

adam, the oil cooler was my first port of call a few months back when this issue started, i bypassed the cooler and flushed the system, few days later it was getting back to how it was. So i am at a ,loss as the only other place i can think oil would be coming in contact with the coolant has to be the head gasket.
Is a puzzler!!

I've never managed to get all the oil out of my cooling system after oil cooler failure, so unless a pressure test is carried out or any leaks are obvious, we cannot prove integrity of head gasket!

How frustrating this could be!

I've no solution really as could be risking total head failure or could just be lots of residual oil in coolant from cooler.

Have you got mayonaisse like deposits under oil filler cap or in filler itself??
Hi Adam
See that is the thing, no mayonnaise like i would expect to find from head gasket failing , it its just black sludge for want of a better word. The car does not over heat and runs fine. If i drain and flush it out it soon comes back to the sludge but it is just like oil is getting in to the coolant. So i am guessing that ether the hg has failed between the main oil feed and the water way or there could be a crack in the head.......i will post a pic when i find them.
Well i bit the bullet and pulled the head of yesterday, what a bloody mess it made. It looks like the rubber oil way seal has been leaking and i was a little surprised have easy the head came off....undone the bolts and it moved. Bores look spot on so head gone off for pressure test and skiming....fingers crossed it will be back together at the week end.
A few pic's

[Image: IMG_0460.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0461.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0462.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0463.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0464.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0465.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0466.JPG]
Looks good.... hope you find a solution in the end.
A good clean and re-furb may do the trick..