Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Gearbox broken?
Yesterday while i was driving i changed from 4th to 5th gear when there was a crunching sound then no gears? The gear stick just floated around , have not got chance to get to garage but would like some info on what happened, is it gearbox done in or drive shaft maybe? Also what coat do you think i will be looking at ? .Thanks for taking time to read this.
Hi I have had this problem and how you have described it, it sounds like same fault with me it was a gear linkage a metal bar with two like ball joints and the bar just clips on, but it probably best to buy new part from dealer it was thirteen pound, a bit of a pain to fit if you havent got a good trolley Jack or lift but I suppose a garage would only charge an hours labour about thirty pound or so, but as you have described it don't worry its not the box. First time it happened to me rac managed to clip it back on at side of road but it happened again so bought new part, hope you understood this long winded message.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BerlingoHDI for this post:
  • whodafoxhat
I've only ever had a gearbox go one car (not a Citroen) and it basically crunched a lot and then didn't work after that. Is that whats happened to yours, or does the car still work?
Now an ex Berlingo owner, I have a C4
2010 (B9) Berlingo Multispace XTR HDi 112 - Kyanos Blue
Previously - 2002 (M49) Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi Diesel - Arctic Steel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mike for this post:
  • whodafoxhat
(29-08-2011, 08:08 PM)BerlingoHDI Wrote:  Hi I have had this problem and how you have described it, it sounds like same fault with me it was a gear linkage a metal bar with two like ball joints and the bar just clips on, but it probably best to buy new part from dealer it was thirteen pound, a bit of a pain to fit if you havent got a good trolley Jack or lift but I suppose a garage would only charge an hours labour about thirty pound or so, but as you have described it don't worry its not the box. First time it happened to me rac managed to clip it back on at side of road but it happened again so bought new part, hope you understood this long winded message.

Hi that sounds like good news, my cousin owns a bus company so got use of a pit and tools just wanted to know if easy enough will give it a go to save money, thank you for your help .Cheers.
(29-08-2011, 08:12 PM)Mike Wrote:  I've only ever had a gearbox go one car (not a Citroen) and it basically crunched a lot and then didn't work after that. Is that whats happened to yours, or does the car still work?

Hi, no it crunched once then just the gear stick floated around by what BerlingoHDI said it could be the linkage which i`ll get a look at prob at weekend once in pit. Hopefully it is`nt the gearbox but thanks for your help.
Hi again
Let me know how you get on the one that went on mine had a large hole onone side and a smaller one on the other with rubber in middle which had perished making it pop off
(29-08-2011, 09:03 PM)BerlingoHDI Wrote:  Hi again
Let me know how you get on the one that went on mine had a large hole onone side and a smaller one on the other with rubber in middle which had perished making it pop off

Will do, was chatting to a mechanic friend he gonna have a look this week and tell me the good/bad news.
Morning got it fixed , it was the linkage that came lose, my mate said it wasn`t as bad as he suspected he managed to put on another hole for bolting it together. It will do till i get the van back it is over 50 km away from where i live at parents home house for the cost of 40 euro(£35). So must see now will it start to affect the gear box in future? Thanks for your advice earlier Berlingo HDI, when it first happened i thought i would have to get a new van and keep this for spare parts. All the best.
Hi there pal,
Glad you got it sorted and that it wasn't anything more major wrong with it, like I said earlier I temporarily fixed mine but it's best to get new part before it goes again[/align]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BerlingoHDI for this post:
  • whodafoxhat