Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Lumpy cold starting.
Hi everyone. I've forgotten my password again and the email recovery wasn't recognising my email address?! Sorry.
So here, Handmade Matt2.

The Berlingo's great. I've been running it with great results on Bio Diesel by the way. Very pleased.

However, (I was hoping the bio was going to solve this but it hasn't)
When I start her from cold she's lumpy (spluttery) with a lack of power for about fifteen second and then she runs well.

Is this a glow plug failure? A particular cylinder isn't firing properly until it gets up to temperature?

It's a 2003 Mk2 1.9D (non turbo) with 170,000 on the clock! Yeah baby!
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Sounds like glow plugs so test them out first if the valve clearances aint been done 170000 miles that could also be an issue according to threads on here and also look at the cold start idle mechanism on the pump. Time to get the tools out.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Spoke to a mechanic the other day to get a quote on cambelt change for my 1.9 DW8 (£260 by the way). I asked about valve clearance check and he said he'd never known one go out.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
sound like defo glow plugs - make sure you replace them with some decent ones from somwere like GSF they will last a good 80k.
I have had a few cases of tight valve clearances on high mileage XUD & DW engines.
I made a habit when a high miler came in for service,to check clearances & on some they were extremely tight.
Prevention is better than cure.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Oh I agree, just that this bloke who sounded like he knew what he was talking about had a different view. I think I'll get them checked when I get the cambelt done.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
Thanks guys. I had a quick look and I think I've identified the glow plugs. There's wire's going to all four connected with a nut which I guess I remove first. Then I extract the glow plugs with a long socket? Replace. I guess I can test the glow plug with a direct 12v supply and manually check if they're working.
Where do you get bio-diesel Matt?

I'm not sure if the 12V supply will tell you how well the glow plug is working, especially under the conditions inside the engine.

Could it be a small air leak, so the engine isn't getting a full diesel supply until the air has been purged?
(20-03-2013, 10:47 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  Oh I agree, just that this bloke who sounded like he knew what he was talking about had a different view. I think I'll get them checked when I get the cambelt done.

That's the time to do it.Less costly that way.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy