Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 2.62 Average
Glenshane Pass
After our recent trips to Donegal in my Berlingo i noticed that it was not quite as good as my previous cars at going up the Glenshane pass, towards the top i had to change from 5th to 4th. Does anyone else now this piece of road?
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
What's the gradient up there?
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

I find the Berlingo is not great for inclines as the gearing doesn't seem to favour it. I always have to be a gear higher than I ought to be.

Where I live in Ramsbottom on the edge of the pennines, we have one of the steepest roads in the country called Rawsons Rake. The gradient reaches about 25%. It's used for cycling's annual British Hill Climb event.

In past cars, I could drive it in 2nd gear provided you can keep going without giving way and maintain your revs. The Berlingo can't do it. I have to crawl all the way up in 1st gear. As soon as I go for 2nd it dies and I have to stop and drop back to first gear.
(10-01-2012, 06:15 PM)Andre Wrote:  What's the gradient up there?
I dont know what the gradient is, its 305m (947ft) above sea level.
Wikipidia Glenshane pass
Philip, I wouldn't have liked to tackle that in the airdream model,when I first got it, it changed down to compensate it lurched for a second and someone could have ended up swallowing their false teeth or worse, spat them out and hit me. Lol. Thankfully I kinda mastered it.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
In the last few years they have made a crawler lane for trucks and buses, going down the pass ive seen trucks where the brakes have overheated and went on fire!
Yes Philip I know the Glenshane Pass very well ! it has the highest pub in Ireland at the top of hill :oO, My van usually get up on 3rd gear near top of hill .
(10-01-2012, 05:58 PM)philip Wrote:  After our recent trips to Donegal in my Berlingo i noticed that it was not quite as good as my previous cars at going up the Glenshane pass, towards the top i had to change from 5th to 4th. Does anyone else now this piece of road?
Yes I know that road very well, I used it many times to go to Limavady, I found the best way to get to the top without having to change down near the top is to get into the outside lane before you get to the filling station, get your speed up to 60mph, by being in the outside lane you should not get stuck behind slower moving traffic, I do not know that every time I am very fortunate but it has always worked because I drive both a HDI 90 VTR & a XTR 110 which I use for towing a 5 berth caravan but never up that road.
Do you by any chance get your fuel from supermarket pumps if so this fuel is not as good as that got from service stations but I used to work in the trade & a chap who overhauled pumps fpr TBF Thompson put me unto an additive which can be added to the tank after every fill it really is terrific additive it gives combustion also removes risk off pump damage by water contamination
(13-01-2012, 04:48 PM)caravancrazy Wrote:  
(10-01-2012, 05:58 PM)philip Wrote:  After our recent trips to Donegal in my Berlingo i noticed that it was not quite as good as my previous cars at going up the Glenshane pass, towards the top i had to change from 5th to 4th. Does anyone else now this piece of road?
Yes I know that road very well, I used it many times to go to Limavady, I found the best way to get to the top without having to change down near the top is to get into the outside lane before you get to the filling station, get your speed up to 60mph, by being in the outside lane you should not get stuck behind slower moving traffic, I do not know that every time I am very fortunate but it has always worked because I drive both a HDI 90 VTR & a XTR 110 which I use for towing a 5 berth caravan but never up that road.
Do you by any chance get your fuel from supermarket pumps if so this fuel is not as good as that got from service stations but I used to work in the trade & a chap who overhauled pumps fpr TBF Thompson put me unto an additive which can be added to the tank after every fill it really is terrific additive it gives combustion also removes risk off pump damage by water contamination
Normally I buy fuel either from Esso or Morrisons. Morrisons say their fuel is from Shell the only difference is the additives, ive never noticed problems with their fuel.

(13-01-2012, 04:48 PM)caravancrazy Wrote:  

I get my fuel from maxol ,was told by mechanic its the best to use i know you have to fork out a little bit more , was is this additive ? would like to find out more please