Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
HELP! 1.9d DW8 problems
Hi Folks, hope this is in the right place.

1.9d DW8 Engine 101k miles

Right, had a prob which started being intermittent for about a year. (Maybe once every two months) When engine was running regardless of temperature all of a sudden the following would happen:

* Hammering Noise from engine
* Loss of power (Easy to stall)
* Loss of Rev counter
* No Glowplug light or heat.

First time this happened i left the car overnight & then it was fine in the morning!?

Sometimes it would happen & then fix its self when driving normally?

Now the problem is that it has totally done it & will not rectify itself, it was always on my long list of things to sort on the car is is actually the only thing outstanding.

I can start the car by running a positive lead to the plugs then it starts fine but still runs rough.

So i have done the following to try & assess where the fault is & due to it being intermittent it makes me think there is hopefully just a loose connection somewhere..

Had half the engine bay apart looking for anything obvious..

* Checked glowplugs (Starts no probs when heat is applied)
* Replaced Glow plug relay (even thought the first one had five pins connected to a four pin wire??) New one now has four but same part number?
*Checked all obvious elec connections & visable earths
* Cracked all injectors one by one, till engine stalls so fuel is still getting through.
*Checked all main fuses

My thoughts are that it must being something electrical that knocks out the rest of these things (Glowplug, Rev & Fuel pressure/ Timing) that was also able to repair itself.

I have also noticed a loose connector passenger side engine block but i cant for the life of me see anything for it to go into, i think it may of been there all this time but i just never noticed it ( Will try & get some pics.)

Hopefully someone has come across these strange range of problems before,possible on a diferent type of engine.

Sorry for the long spiel but just quite frustrated as she's been good to me & don't wanna quite give up on it yet.

Thanks for all your help in advance. Smile
Hi, if you can PM me your Vin No. I'll have a look through the diagrams.Confusedtudy:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(10-08-2012, 09:17 AM)Surge Wrote:  Hi Folks, hope this is in the right place.

1.9d DW8 Engine 101k miles

Right, had a prob which started being intermittent for about a year. (Maybe once every two months) When engine was running regardless of temperature all of a sudden the following would happen:

* Hammering Noise from engine
* Loss of power (Easy to stall)
* Loss of Rev counter
* No Glowplug light or heat.

First time this happened i left the car overnight & then it was fine in the morning!?

Sometimes it would happen & then fix its self when driving normally?

Now the problem is that it has totally done it & will not rectify itself, it was always on my long list of things to sort on the car is is actually the only thing outstanding.

I can start the car by running a positive lead to the plugs then it starts fine but still runs rough.

So i have done the following to try & assess where the fault is & due to it being intermittent it makes me think there is hopefully just a loose connection somewhere..

Had half the engine bay apart looking for anything obvious..

* Checked glowplugs (Starts no probs when heat is applied)
* Replaced Glow plug relay (even thought the first one had five pins connected to a four pin wire??) New one now has four but same part number?
*Checked all obvious elec connections & visable earths
* Cracked all injectors one by one, till engine stalls so fuel is still getting through.
*Checked all main fuses

My thoughts are that it must being something electrical that knocks out the rest of these things (Glowplug, Rev & Fuel pressure/ Timing) that was also able to repair itself.

I have also noticed a loose connector passenger side engine block but i cant for the life of me see anything for it to go into, i think it may of been there all this time but i just never noticed it ( Will try & get some pics.)

Hopefully someone has come across these strange range of problems before,possible on a diferent type of engine.

Sorry for the long spiel but just quite frustrated as she's been good to me & don't wanna quite give up on it yet.

Thanks for all your help in advance. Smile

Hi did you have any joy with this one? sounds similier to a problem im having, though mine is not as bad.

Ricky