Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to replace the heat-shields around the catalytic muffler 1.6HDi
Hi all,

I had a rattling rear heat shield , the one between the engine bay and the catalytic muffler/converter (no catalytic converter on my car). In case anyone is interested in replacing these here is a video of how I did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyL5nRiFfT0

My main problem was taking the front-heat shield out, impossible on my 1.6HDi (Peugeot Partner; M59; 90bhp; 9HXC engine), the turbo actuator arm and the turbo oil inlet pipe were in the way. I unscrewed every bolt on the heat shields and the two exhaust brackets and the catalytic muffler dropped underneath the car. From then on it is a straightforward replacement, although had to take the front heat shield out. The noise was rather embarrassing when idling, like the engine was about to drop off, now it is quiet.

Rear heat shield replacement part number: 1723EY

Cheers,
saskak
smile, you are alive! Peugeot Partner Escapade (same as M59, but with offroady-ish look) 2007, 1.6HDi 92
https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules
You need the radiator out too if you have aircon, or at least I did! I took mine off to check that infamous turbo oil feed pipe.
I had the same rattle it appeared as my wife was about to take the car away from home for a week and she was worried something bad had gone wrong. A quick check revealed a broken heat shield bracket.
I didn't have time for a proper fix so cut off a 3 inch piece of fencing feather edge and wedged it into place, this " cured " the noise so my wife drove away content the car wasn't about to blow up.

Your posting ^^^^ has reminded me that I have the same " fix " in place just over two years later, well life has been rather busy to say the least.

Oh the shame of it !!......... but of course .....  oh the joy for a quick fix that worked.

I'll probably remove and weld up the bracket, it should last me another fifty thousand miles.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(14-05-2019, 12:57 PM)geoff Wrote:  I had the same rattle it appeared as my wife was about to take the car away from home for a week and she was worried something bad had gone wrong. A quick check revealed a broken heat shield bracket.
I didn't have time for a proper fix so cut off a 3 inch piece of fencing feather edge and wedged it into place, this " cured " the noise so my wife drove away content the car wasn't about to blow up.

Your posting ^^^^ has reminded me that I have the same " fix " in place just over two years later, well life has been rather busy to say the least.

Oh the shame of it !!......... but of course .....  oh the joy for a quick fix that worked.

I'll probably remove and weld up the bracket, it should last me another fifty thousand miles.

Haha, I had two rattling heat shields, one was the top that I fixed with the two now rusty metal brackets and the rear that could not do a fix on. The catalytic muffler had to come out. Quite glad I did not need to remove the radiator with the associated mess of draining the coolant.
smile, you are alive! Peugeot Partner Escapade (same as M59, but with offroady-ish look) 2007, 1.6HDi 92
https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to saskak for this post:
  • geoff