Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Removing the Filter/Gauze in turbocharger oil feed
Just a quick question in relation to the above, I've seen some discussion on here in relation to removing this little filter/gauze from the banjo bolt connecting the turbo oil feed tube to the block and I figured that it wasn't a big job and decided to do so last night.

However when I opened the bonnet and looked down there there seems to be a lot of items in the way, so therefore I was wondering what all needs to be removed to get at the banjo??
Music 
Sense of hearing, credibility and friendship with anyone within a mile of the instrument. Wink
The only thing a banjo is good for is smacking a bagpipe player around the head.
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2
Anyone??
nicely ignored:whistle:
My take on it is why would you want to? Cause of turbo failure on these engines is usually missing out oil changes &/or use of incorrect spec oil causing sludge build up in feed pipe, all removing filter would do would be to allow any sludge into turbo bearing, I would have thought.
(22-06-2012, 05:01 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  My take on it is why would you want to? Cause of turbo failure on these engines is usually missing out oil changes &/or use of incorrect spec oil causing sludge build up in feed pipe, all removing filter would do would be to allow any sludge into turbo bearing, I would have thought.

I thought the gause was removed for later models?? I may be wrong but I'm sure I read some where (it might have been this forum??) that it is no longer fitted.
I thought there was some discussion on here about removing it and I've heard it elsewhere that it is a good idea...

Either way the feed pipe is tiny and in my opinion should be larger to start with and with the gauze fitted it adds additional restrictions to the flow of oil. The slightest impurity finding it's way into the gauze can block it starving the turbo of oil causing guaranteed failure, where as if that impurity found it's way to the turbo chances are it may not do any harm.

I take you point that the gauze is designed to stop sludge etc, etc... making its way up the pipe but I think I'd rather take my chances with some items making there way up there along with the oil than no oil at all...
(22-06-2012, 10:09 PM)prunty Wrote:  I thought there was some discussion on here about removing it and I've heard it elsewhere that it is a good idea...

Either way the feed pipe is tiny and in my opinion should be larger to start with and with the gauze fitted it adds additional restrictions to the flow of oil. The slightest impurity finding it's way into the gauze can block it starving the turbo of oil causing guaranteed failure, where as if that impurity found it's way to the turbo chances are it may not do any harm.

I take you point that the gauze is designed to stop sludge etc, etc... making its way up the pipe but I think I'd rather take my chances with some items making there way up there along with the oil than no oil at all...

Have you thought of just removing, cleaning then replacing the gauze filter?
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.