Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.69 Average
Heater smell
Have had my 2004 Forte for about a month, and when I switch the fan heater on there is sort of burning smell, this is even when the car is only just started and not even warm. I have searched the faults list on the Forum but can't find anything that relates to my cars particular problem. Has anyone any ideas? :whistle:
heater matrix leaking , (sort burning acrid smell) Lots of posts and how to change it on here
Not to be too sarcastic but, burning smells are usually associated with burning.
Especially on first starting due to large current draws from electrical components.
If it smells when the heater (fan) is turned on, you are drawing air from outside. Take it you have the fan on cool setting, as no point in switching it on warm when first starting as will blow cold anyway.
Have you checked under the bonnet immediately after starting, as (obviously) this smell needs investigating before the 'fire' part of your insurance policy is put to good use.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to j90xxx for this post:
  • Grum
(15-10-2012, 07:58 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  heater matrix leaking , (sort burning acrid smell) Lots of posts and how to change it on here

Does this mean the coolant level will drop, because so far I haven't noticed this?
If the smell is the heater matrix, the loss of coolant may be very minimal.

It is a common problem and my 2004 model has been that way for 4 years. It loses very little coolant. I probably top it up every 6 months.

The smell is often like a spicy, curry type smell which is the anti freeze burning.

The only odd thing is that you say it is noticeable as soon as you switch on whereas, mine is really when the engine temp warms.

Replacing the matrix is a messy job and personally not one I think justifies the problem unless is starts losing lots of fluid. The smell normally goes after a few minutes.
Read my thread 'Beef sandwiches' (honest!), my be of some help. :thumbsup:
The smell is definately when I start the car and as the heater makes less of a small as it warms-up. I have taken the vehicle round to a well known Citroen dealership in Norwich. They say the problem is probably the Heater Air Puller (blower motor) Bearing or the Blower Resistor, as they tend to wear out. They will have to dismantle it to look for evidence of which it is. I will consider the estimate they gave me, to see if I can afford this.

Can anyone else relate to this?

:S
(15-10-2012, 09:18 PM)tucker Wrote:  If the smell is the heater matrix, the loss of coolant may be very minimal.

It is a common problem and my 2004 model has been that way for 4 years. It loses very little coolant. I probably top it up every 6 months.

The smell is often like a spicy, curry type smell which is the anti freeze burning.

The only odd thing is that you say it is noticeable as soon as you switch on whereas, mine is really when the engine temp warms.

Replacing the matrix is a messy job and personally not one I think justifies the problem unless is starts losing lots of fluid. The smell normally goes after a few minutes.

So THATS what it was!!!!
Our old Austin Maxi used to pong like that -Dad denied outright that he had a secret penchant for the vindaloo...
".....Im a secret lemonade drinker...."