Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Hose pipe ban RANT
I live in Lincolnshire in the country and it's lovely. It's also never stopped raining since 'they' brought in the hosepipe ban over a month ago. The lanes around here are deep in mud as everything is agricultural and so my berlingo that I have had for only two weeks was looking pretty grubby this morning.

This morning there was a shaft of sunlight.Confusedunny:...at last I could wash the car. Well it took forever without the hosepipe and I must have used 20 times more water using buckets. Of course I couldn't do a decent job of the wheel arches or for that matter any of the clay sticking underneath the car. In the middle of the job the postman (who having observed me for some time and can talk the hind legs off a donkey) tells me that he watched a program on the TV that demonstated and confirmed that using a bucket does use far more water than a hosepipe when washing the car. He also told me (his other vice being a total lack of descretion) that he came across one of my neighbours using a hosepipe who on being discovered panicked and hid behind the garden bushes!

This afternoon I was going to take some pictures to post on here but guess what? It's pouring down with rain again!!:fish::fish:

Worse still she who must be obeyed wants me to take her to the shops and so it'll be all back to square one:brickwall:

I'm fed up with whoever it is that seems to have cocked it all up....I'm supposed to be retired..

There..I've had my Victor Meldrew moment
I use the Russian/Latvian crew down the road from me
and for a fiver they do a really nice job, even down to dressing the tyres....they're always busy seven days a week.

Strange one...the hosepipe ban. Perhaps if the the water companies
stopped allowing 20% of their finished product to leak away in damaged pipework that never gets repaired they may not have to take such stringent measures.
In the latter part of the 19th c. a water pipeline was run from the newly constructed Elan Valley reservoirs in wet Wales to the then burgeoning city of Birmingham. A pipe run of 112 kilometers took them a couple of years to complete.
The oil and gas companies have oil and natural gas pipelines the length and breadth of the UK so why the water companies are unable to follow suit remains a mystery. :whistle:
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
About 5 years ago they renewed the old cast iron main (12" diameter) and "moled" in a nice new blue plastic one .We had nice new feeds to our houses and all was cushty.
They dig up the joints every 8-10 months now and repair the leaks.....
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
There used to be an old fashioned word years ago- Quality- not used much nowadays
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
I know dude it's been replaced with either " fast " or " cheap " depending on your perspective Confusedcratch:
Serious head wreck :censored:
I suggest you dig a berlingo sized pond, with a bridge for the wheels and make a habit of parking above it when you need to clean the beloved vehicle, (the berlingo not the wife) add a few goldfish (to the pond) and bobs your uncle problem solved within the law. Confusedalut:
(05-05-2012, 12:29 PM)jobberwock Wrote:  ...he watched a program on the TV that demonstated and confirmed that using a bucket does use far more water than a hosepipe when washing the car.

I don't believe this. I use max 3 buckets of water to wash my Berlingo Multispace with. My hose pumps that amount out in about a minute..
(06-05-2012, 05:01 AM)mikep1973 Wrote:  
(05-05-2012, 12:29 PM)jobberwock Wrote:  ...he watched a program on the TV that demonstated and confirmed that using a bucket does use far more water than a hosepipe when washing the car.

I don't believe this. I use max 3 buckets of water to wash my Berlingo Multispace with. My hose pumps that amount out in about a minute..
There is some truth to it (that such demonstrations exist) - AutoExpress did such an article recently.

However, the comparison is rigged. They reckoned to get a car clean with a bucket wash uses over 100 liters of water. That's 10 buckets. Furthermore, the hose wash was measured using a jet nozzle with a trigger, that controls the amount of water being delivered.

Although this is sensible, it is not the way most ordinary people clean their cars with a hose.

So their comparison is between a guy chucking buckets of water at the car (their photos show this) and someone using near-professional car-cleaning kit. Guess they were determined to get a result that favoured hose-washing.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoex...ml#Scene_1
You Know there's a saying...

'Necessitity is the mother of invention'

I think that's the saying but then 'She'(the manager that is) would say I think a lot of things that are nothing 'more than sheer fantasy never mind invention'.

Now to get back to the subject.

Here I was once more stuck in doors avoiding the rain and the halestones(it's the truth) when out of the blue(I'm now speaking metaphorically) a vision appeared. I saw a solution to my hosepipe problem.

It is simple, cheap and once assembled has no maintenance costs.
Furthermore it is 100% environmentally friendly

If I tell you my invention you must promise not to tell anyone...that is until I've had time to get a patent.

This could be my 'Dragons Den' moment!

If you are unable to keep this secret do not read on....the temptation would be too much.

This is 'my invention'!

A fully automatic, instant flow, ambient temperature consistent, enviro hose treatment works.

This is just the basic model. The future potential to elaborate on this basic design is enormous. There would be enhancements/attachments. There would also be a range of colours and matching accessories.....

Oh my mind is just bursting with idea's...it's amazing

I've joined the 21st. century bull....!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jobberwock for this post:
  • andy-womble
Our system leaks over 50% of the water put in.

Never hosepipe bans. But prob getting meters soon