Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do I take the rear seats out
Hi all,

I joined a few weeks ago but this is my first post.

I finally got my first Belingo last week with a view to taking the rear seats out and sleeping on a double inflatable mattress in the back. I have seen the Amdro boot jump and fantastic that it is, we just cannot afford it at the moment although we are set on buying the stick-on window blinds that they supply.

I have seen a thread somewhere that says you can just undo the bolts using a Torx but on examining my seats, they just have what looks like a bolt through but there are no nuts on either end. Just a small smooth dome.

How da heck do I get those babies out? Please don't tell me I have bought the only one in the world with no way of getting them out easily:brickwall:

Any help would be much appreciated as I am very much a novice in the handyman stakes and I have no special tools of any note.

Many thanks in advance.

Burt
(05-06-2014, 01:19 PM)Burt Wrote:  Hi all,

I finally got my first Belingo last week with a view to taking the rear seats out and sleeping on a double inflatable mattress in the back. I have seen the Amdro boot jump and fantastic that it is, we just cannot afford it at the moment although we are set on buying the stick-on window blinds that they supply.

I have seen a thread somewhere that says you can just undo the bolts using a Torx but on examining my seats, they just have what looks like a bolt through but there are no nuts on either end. Just a small smooth dome.

How da heck do I get those babies out? Please don't tell me I have bought the only one in the world with no way of getting them out easily:brickwall:

Any help would be much appreciated as I am very much a novice in the handyman stakes and I have no special tools of any note.

Many thanks in advance.

Burt

Hi Burt,

I recently took my seats out ok.

Are you maybe just looking at the hinge fixings?
The smooth domes might be the horizontal hinge rivets themselves.

If you ignore them and see where the black hinge bracket joins the floor you should see the grey Torx screws going into the floor that you need to unscrew. They're maybe hidden by a flap of carpet, just pull it out the way and you should see them.

Cheers,
Some dickhead riveted them which means the thread is ruined. You can redrill with bigger hole and buy some nutserts then some hex bolts.
(05-06-2014, 02:53 PM)Karloff Wrote:  
(05-06-2014, 01:19 PM)Burt Wrote:  Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Burt

Hi Burt,

I recently took my seats out ok.

Are you maybe just looking at the hinge fixings?
The smooth domes might be the horizontal hinge rivets themselves.

If you ignore them and see where the black hinge bracket joins the floor you should see the grey Torx screws going into the floor that you need to unscrew. They're maybe hidden by a flap of carpet, just pull it out the way and you should see them.

Cheers

Karloff. You are a flippin star mate!

I was only looking base plate at the back end of the seats and the screws are actually on the base plate under the front of the front of the seat aren't they. There are just 2 screws there on each base plate. Is that all that fixes them down? There are not more hidden by any chance? Seems strange that there are none on the plate behind the seat that's all.

So the next question for you good people is what size Torx screwdriver do I need to buy please? The width of the head inside the head of the screw is at a rough guess about 6 or 7mm. I am currently looking on the Halfords site at a Torx block tool that is a little like one of those allen key gizmo's with 9 different heads T6 T7 T9 T10 T15 T20 T25 T27 T30. Will one of these fit the screws?

Further advice would be most welcome please folks:o)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-EXPERT-...4d1d0ab060

This would be a wise investment for you , torx are easier to undo using a socket set and berlingos seem to be full of the bloody things!
(06-06-2014, 10:39 AM)homeruk Wrote:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-EXPERT-...4d1d0ab060

This would be a wise investment for you , torx are easier to undo using a socket set and berlingos seem to be full of the bloody things!

Thank you for that Homer. I cannot zoom in very close to the bits to see them properly but presume that I would have to use them in conjunction with some kind of handle or ratchet type tool which I do not have? Or do they fit into an electric drill the same as drill bits? I aint got many tools but I do have a drillCool
They are made to use with a ratchet. Realistically, a small ratchet (I suggest 3/8" drive) is not something you'll regret buying. I also use a ratcheting screwdriver for many of the lighter weight fasteners.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post:
  • Burt
Depending on your budget if you wish to work on your car then I would recommend a socket set which incorporates the torx bits and some spammers as well.

You can pay as little as £30 for a fairly large set but the quality is probably shocking, upto hundreds for snap on for example.

Draper expert, halfords advanced , sealey, bahco are all mid priced quality tools. Most quality sets haveca lifetime guarantee
(06-06-2014, 12:12 PM)homeruk Wrote:  Depending on your budget if you wish to work on your car then I would recommend a socket set which incorporates the torx bits and some spammers as well.

You can pay as little as £30 for a fairly large set but the quality is probably shocking, upto hundreds for snap on for example.

Draper expert, halfords advanced , sealey, bahco are all mid priced quality tools. Most quality sets haveca lifetime guarantee

Cheers Homer.

I will deffo bear that in mind.

In the short term I have just nipped out at lunch and popped into Black & Decker in the Lowry mall and bought a little Stanley set with few dozen different sized bits and sockets for £15 The ratchet and chuck are quite small so I don't know if it will have enough clout to get the screws out but I can always take the set back as not fit for purpose if it doesn't do the job I suppose (money is very tight after spending all my dough on the car and tax/insurance doh!). I'm still not sure if the bits will fit the screws so here's hoping...........

You guys are so very helpful and top dollar. So glad that I found this site. Big up to the site owners:woop:
Nothing wrong with using a piece of pipe over the ratchet to get some extra leverage.

Scaffold pipe works well.