Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2 Average
IMMOB Problem ??
Hi Guys and thanks for anything you can help with.
Newbie here.
2003 Berlingo 2.0 HDI 120k miles.
It cut out on me twice over the last 2 years or so but on both occasions 20 minutes later all was well and off I went on my travels.
Last week it cut out on me doing about 20 mph - dead as a dodo.
My mechanic who services it for me got an auto elec guy to test out the ecu and all was OK (he also at my expense got a 2nd opinion which again came back clear).
He says fuel is getting up to the injectors and its just like the immob has kicked in and saying no way am I starting this baby!.
I have changed the battery in the key fob, tried a BSI reset as per a google search and as per instructions on here but still nowt.
Middle console where the time / date is reads ECO MOD.
Yellow engine mgt light is on the dash all the time ignition is switched on but all others go out (ie) air bag, oil pressure etc
Any ideas?
Cheers
Nigel
Hi, does it say eco mod with the engine running as this is a feature to save battery power when switched off, ie, if an internal light is left on.
Sounds like an engine ecu problem if the engine light is on but you should be able to pull some fault codes out of it.
Try and find someone with Lexia to read it. Confusedcratch:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
Thanks for the reply Rustscrat.
The last auto elec guy to take a look is a Citroen guy with the Lexia kit - he's puzzled because the ECU is talking back to him but the bloomng thing just wont start hence the immob question. He basically wants to rip out the ECU etc and replace with new because we just cant find a replacement with the correct model number and at main dealer prices its probably not worth the cost .
I just have a gut feeling its the immob cutting in and wondered if there was other options available rather than scrapping a rather nice, neat tidy van.
Cheers
Nigel
You need to get back to the Lexia and read the Bsi and engine ecu.
There is one part where it tells you if the ecu's are unlocked or locked.
I think this the Bsi read. If it is then it looks an immobilizer fault.
So again with Lexia test the steering wheel control unit as it's this that detects your key chip and the central locking key fob.
I did have on my Mk1 a problem with the pick up unit that sits around the ignition sw. This detects the chip in your key. It was open circuit. the wire had broken off one of the connections. This produced a key symbol on the dash and the engine would turn over but not start.
I have just tried this on my Mk2, took the chip out of the key fob and tried starting van. The results were - no key indication on the dash, the engine light was lit, the engine turned over but no start.
Have a look at the connections at the back of your steering wheel unit.
Give them a wiggle as you're turning the engine over, it might be just a dodgy connection. Confusedalut:
Thats Mr Rustscrat- no that sounds worth a look.
To be honest, the ignition barrel wobbles around in its plastic housing unit like my beloved Wolves defenders do around their 6 yard box - I will have a look.
Cheers again
Nigel
No worries, let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • nigelcole
Sorry to say but all good there - took the plastic housing off and all connections look fine and correct, wiggled away but nowt on cranking the key, just turning over - have I read somewhere about a fuel shut off valve (or thingy ma jig) around the front wheel arch, something to do with a red button that might have popped out and needs pushing back in???
Sorry,Nigel,The red button is only on those evil petrol ones.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • nigelcole
Is my beloved van destined for the great junk yard in the sky?
I cant justify any more costs on diagnostics to tell me its just cream krackered and needs a new ECU :brickwall:
Already into my 4th week as of tmrw of a rental van to carry on my business -
Oh dear, such a shame, bloomin lovely van in silver, all decals in the Company colours'
Thx guys for input Confusedalut:
(29-07-2012, 09:22 PM)nigelcole Wrote:  Is my beloved van destined for the great junk yard in the sky?
I cant justify any more costs on diagnostics to tell me its just cream krackered and needs a new ECU :brickwall:
Already into my 4th week as of tmrw of a rental van to carry on my business -
Oh dear, such a shame, bloomin lovely van in silver, all decals in the Company colours'
Thx guys for input Confusedalut:

Have you tried the spare key if you have one?