Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
Induction Kit
I love it.
I agree that diesels like their air from the front but it does look bloody neat.:thumbsup:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • j90xxx
After speaking to some racers in the pits they suggested low pressure 'drawn' cold air rather than high pressure 'forced' air.
This is sourced from the air entering the rear of the engine bay through the vents at the base of the windscreen and a hole, holes or slots cut in the bulkhead. This should be positioned to avoid rain ingress and above the channel that drains water to each side and down the wheel arches.
So... I now have a 54mm hole in my bulkhead in exactly the right place.
Ideally it needs another, but access (as you can imagine) is difficult for such a large drill.Confusedcratch:
(08-08-2012, 09:03 AM)j90xxx Wrote:  After speaking to some racers in the pits they suggested low pressure 'drawn' cold air rather than high pressure 'forced' air.
This is sourced from the air entering the rear of the engine bay through the vents at the base of the windscreen and a hole, holes or slots cut in the bulkhead.

Google "Randall Cowl Intake" :thumbsup:

Most people take an air feed from the front as they don't fancy cutting into their bulkhead, but in reality you'll get no "ram-air" effect unless you're doing silly speeds:eek:
Like you say plenty of racers of all car variants use the low-pressure area at the base of the scuttle panel as the source for cold air.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to hachiroku for this post:
  • j90xxx
(08-08-2012, 09:08 AM)hachiroku Wrote:  Like you say plenty of racers of all car variants use the low-pressure area at the base of the scuttle panel as the source for cold air.

I was always told that back-scuttling was best :censored::censored::censored::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Scuttle.
That's the word I was trying to think of....
Scuttle, bulkhead, firewall, you know what I mean.
And you (we) are correct, unless a cold air feed, or ram-air (as Pontiac and others in the States call it) is done properly it is a waste of time.
The engine obviously needs air to mix with fuel, but does not need to be 'force-fed' massive amounts.
Those who have read my thread from the beginning will know that this modification was not done for performance reasons (it's a diesel van!) but to simplify the unnecessarily complex intake and filter system that was a poor fit and rattled like mad. And it works.:thumbsup:

As a post script.
Went to Glasgow on Monday (500 mile round trip), and got 53mpg. Last time did the same trip got 51mpg. Not saying the filter has improved things (always variables on any journey), but it has not made it worse. :woop:
Nice work Martin- every little helps, as the old woman said when she.........and we all know the rest !
Here is a pic of the 54mm hole in the scuttle.
Care was taken to position so water (rain) would not be an issue.
Drilled, cleaned and painted (with Hammerite Radiator touch up).
May drill another hole or oval the original to the left.
As mentioned before this will allow cold, low pressure air to be drawn into filter, not forced from the front via an induction pipe.
Quite pleased with the neat and tidy results.
And it works.:woop:
[Image: 2e3wpyb.jpg]

[Image: 2dt83nk.jpg]
I like your hole Wink :lol:

what would top it off would be some flexible hose (like you can get for brake ducting) going from the hole to an enclosed air filter/airbox, BMC do some cool enclosed filters.
That way the air filter would draw ONLY cooler low pressure air in.
But like you say... it's a diesel van, think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here :lol:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to hachiroku for this post:
  • j90xxx
Think it is close enough to the filter not to require ducting.
Might just make the hole bigger, or drill another one?