Thread Rating:
  • 32 Vote(s) - 3.47 Average
Installing Sub Woofer
hi there people, new to the site, just been looking around and seems theres alot to mod on these things.

I have a 58 berlingo van as a company van.
Also have a bmw coupe for all the other times. I have spent alot of time and money on my car, so i thought i would try some of that on the van now.

First things first...sub woofer.
Just a little one.

My friend has given me a blaupunkt tube style sub woofer. He's had it for years in his loft, never even tried it, so i volunteered to make use of it.

Being a plumber, the back of my van is purely for all my fittings and tools. I have built shelving and split them into compatments, also bolted a tool safe to the chassis. (gotta keep them tools safe)

So the only space i can think of to install the lil speaker would be behind my seat.

Now i would say i'm good at making things work but when it comes to car electrics and speakers im a little bit lost.

I have the stock radio installed and i need help on knowing what cables i need to connect to and where the best place to do so would be.

If anyone can provide me with a simple step by step of how i can install this it will be much appreciated.

On one side the sub woofer, it has a place for all the connections. Now I see there is a plug for high level input. Reading around I understand that this means i can tap into speaker cables for its source of sound??

Also, where is the best place to get power from and is there anything extra i need to get to make it work?

I have attached a pic of what the connections side looks like if thats any help to anyone.

Hello Ari,

I'm sure that at least one of our members has done this. Have you tried a search?
If you can't find any info, someone will be along soon enough

Welcome aboard
I have a sub in mine but I used the blue wire on the harness from an aftermarket stereo to turn it on (rem) as it didnt go anywhere to the berlingo, power from the battery with fuse and audio is from out the back of the aftermarket stereo, ground goes to any bolt attached to the chassis. I bought my amp kit from mapins

I dont have any idea about the high level input though, sorry
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White
thanks for the replys...still a little confused though.

another question is can i take power from somewhere inside the cabin or does it need to be straight from the battery?

any help or info on high level input?

thanks
I suppose you could take the power from the cig lighter? Looks like it has the amp bolted with the woofer, so atleast its as space saving as you will get.

Im not sure about the high/low with a standard headunit, but have you thought about getting an aftermarket HU? You could grab something for about £20 and it will up the power to your door speakers and to the sub too. Just a thought.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_A...86.c0.m301
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

not looking to upgrade the head unit...i would like to keep it as stock looking as possible and not having the hassle of taking the face off.

but thanks for the idea.
(08-06-2011, 10:59 AM)Andre Wrote:  I suppose you could take the power from the cig lighter? Looks like it has the amp bolted with the woofer, so atleast its as space saving as you will get.

Im not sure about the high/low with a standard headunit, but have you thought about getting an aftermarket HU? You could grab something for about £20 and it will up the power to your door speakers and to the sub too. Just a thought.

Christ, no. Do not power the Subwoofer off the cigarette lighter. Subwoofers will pull far too much current and at least blow the fuse or even melt the wiring. Deffo run a fused feed from the battery. If the Standard Headunit has a power antenna feed then use that to switch the sub on, and let it draw it's main feed through the cable from the battery.

As a guideline, a 300w drain at 12v would be pulling in the region of 25amps. I'd be surprised if the faglighter could sustain it.

Regards

Phil
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Phil_G for this post:
  • Andre
(08-06-2011, 11:19 AM)ari87 Wrote:  not looking to upgrade the head unit...i would like to keep it as stock looking as possible and not having the hassle of taking the face off.

but thanks for the idea.

battery only id say.

and id also not bother with a sub until you upgrade the HU. the Citroen unit is crap its not designed for high quality sound
Anyone have any idea yet on what to connect the high level input?

thanks for the info ppl