Thread Rating:
  • 26 Vote(s) - 3.35 Average
Intermittent turbo failure fault
I have a 20 HDi Desire Berlingo which I have owned from new in 2005. It's just reached 85000 miles and is still going strongly - most of the time. About 6 months ago I was driving home from work (Bolton to Manchester) and when I got onto the motorway I had no power. Foot to the floor the revs stuck at 2000 and I couldn't get any speed up beyong 40-50 mph. I managed to get home and the next day the car was fine.

Skip forward to about three weeks ago and the same thing happened only this time there was a beep and the yellow engine warning light came on. I took it to Citroen in Sale who had it for 2 days... and were none the wiser. The fault was easy to spot - the turbo wasn't working. Finding out why has been a mystery. Everything mechanical checked out fine and the electronics of the car are reporting no faults, even when it is faulting!

After two days of checking and testing the car had stopped faulting and so was given back to me with a "bring it back when it goes wrong again" message.

Well it was fine until a week ago when it faulted again for a drive back from Preston but again cured itself once the engine had been switched off and then on again.

Today it failed yet again and this time seems to have stuck. I've been to Bolton and back and switched off and on a few times but the turbo (I guess) is still not working. The engine warning light is back on again as well. Bizarrely it seems to have a little more power than previously as eventually it will sluggishly drag iteself to 65mph in 5th but the revs are still holding around 2000 max.

Note that the fault seems to occur from starting off - I have never been on the motorway at speed and then lost power. I've been able to feel it pulling away from a standing start though it is less noticeable below 30 mph.

I'm going back to Citroen tomorrow but would be really grateful for any suggestions or similar experiences. I know sadly little about modern cars but don't fancy taking it back again and again to Citroen paying a diagnostic fee and getting nowhere. Likewise I don't want to pay £500 for a new engine management computer only to find it doesn't cure the fault. So please... any help gratefully received!

Sounds more like an engine management fault but unless the fault is active when the vehicle is undergoing diagnostic check it may not be logged in the engine computor (ECM).
Under certain fault condtions or if the on-board diagnostics thinks the fault may be detrimental to the running of the engine it will throw the engine into "Limp Mode" to enable you to get home but no power.

If the turbo was U/S the fault would be there permanently and you would be chuffing out clouds of blue/black smoke or even suffer a damaged engine if the turbo had decided to break up and enter the engine.

I had my Berlingo 2.0HDI Multispace from Citroen Manchester (Sale) and it went back under complaint. The engine management light keeps coming on but the engine does not go into limp mode. If you care to read some of my earlier threads I am waiting to buy a handheld code reader so I can get a list of faults to present to the main dealer.

The staff at Sale told me originally that the fault was a "phantom fault" and not to worry carry on driving it, a chance diagnostic using a mate's code reader revealed that the EGR valve could be sticking. I have until October left on a used car Citroen Select Warranty so it will be back in before then....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • petet66
Ok... so it was still faulting today and the fault has been traced to the electro valve sticking apparently. It has been replaced and the fault cured. Fingers crossed!
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 HDi Desire 2005
As said above this is not a turbo fault the ecu is putting you into limp mode it will be an electrical fault hope this is cured for you

Gray
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to coxy for this post:
  • petet66
(08-03-2011, 03:36 PM)petet66 Wrote:  Ok... so it was still faulting today and the fault has been traced to the electro valve sticking apparently. It has been replaced and the fault cured. Fingers crossed!

Hope you don't mind me asking but which garage did the job for you???

Hope they have fixed it properly this time, I am still learning my way around these electronically controlled diesel engines and sometimes think they are a regular PITA.....

Having said that, I don't have much faith in the dealerships, all they want is to bleed your wallet.

Hi no problem - it was the Citroen dealership in Sale, South Manchester.
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 HDi Desire 2005
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to petet66 for this post:
  • andy-womble
Not too far from me, finally a manc has joined.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

(09-03-2011, 12:35 AM)petet66 Wrote:  Hi no problem - it was the Citroen dealership in Sale, South Manchester.

Thanks for that, it has restored my confidence in their ability to diagnose and correct faults somewhat, should I need to return there at some point.

(08-03-2011, 03:36 PM)petet66 Wrote:  Ok... so it was still faulting today and the fault has been traced to the electro valve sticking apparently. It has been replaced and the fault cured. Fingers crossed!

hi, i'm new to this forum and to diesels, full stop!
i'm in spain and i get a similar problem with my 2004 berlingo type 2 hdi 2000, but only in the hotter months [yes it does get cold in spain!]. can you explain exactly what / where the ''electro valve'' is?
thanks.
steve g.
p.s. i appreciate i should get a diag done but i trust the garages here less than the ones i used in the uk [bad experiences personally in uk, not saying all bad.
The electro valve is the solenoid that controls the EGR (exhaust gas recircul;ation) system, opening and closing the EGR valve as dictated by the ECU.

The EGR system bleeds some exhaust gases from the manifold into the inlet manifold at tickover and light load situations. At the back of the engine, from on top, below and behind the engine cover there is the inlet manifold. Below and behind that is a smaller diameter silver coloured pipe that exits into the "elbow" of the inlet manifold - this is the end of the EGR system as it leads up from the exhaust, where the actual valve is situated.

Behind the air cleaner and below the pipework that leads from it to the turbo is a solenoid. It is fed by a connector and two thin black pipes lead to it. One comes from the vacuum pump on the engine and the other goes off toward the bulkhead and splits into two - this actuates the EGR valve.

The whole system is unnecessary and only an attempt to reduce emissions. However, we are blessed with the Siemens engine management sytem which likes to have this working - if we had the Bosch it wouldn't be a problem.

My advice would be to take the whole system apart and thoroughly clean it - from the vacuum pump to the EGR pipe - do it all including the electrical switches.

What you have experienced is "limp mode" the ECU detects a problem and protects the engine by limiting how high it will rev.

It you want anymore let me know

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • blingo