Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
LOUD(ISH) HUMMING NOISE FROM FRONT END?
Having just got my Blingo it appears there's some faults to get sorted...
Firstly a constant humming-noise coming from the front drive or wheels..?
I was thinking wheel bearing/s..? (have spun each wheel by hand & there's no noise or roughness) Suggestions please.
(tone of noise matches speed increase/decrease).

Secondly when making a turn (even a slight one) especially over bumpy surfaces I get a knocking sound from drivers-side wheel area..does this seem like worn drop-link end/s..?

Also the gear-change is a bit of a rough affair sometimes..have ordered some
Valvolene 75W80 gear oil to replace (what I assume is) the old g/box oil..
... Does this sound a sensible move towards smoother gear-shifts..?

Cheers for any helpful comments.
It sound like bearings-does the noise increase on cornering?
It's always a good idea to change the transmission oil,I do mine every 2 years/15,000 miles.
Drop links are not expensive,so you could try the dealer method & see if it cures the noise.:whistle:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I agree with Ron it does sound like wheel bearings, as they get worse it turns into a rumble. Drop links to may as well change them and it should sort it out.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • RolyG
I had a metallic clonking noise on the front of mine, at speed over a rough scabby surface road, there would be a heavy rattle, I could wind the window down and hear it outside too. It turned out to be the two pins that the calipers are mounted onto, each caliper slides on them to centralize themselves over the disc. There is a replacement kit from Citroen, costs £25 (4 years ago), you get 4 pins and 4 lock bolts and pin-rubbers, To check yours, remove the front wheel, get hold of the calipers and see if you can firmly rock them from side to side, they may even clonk as you try them.
Thanks to you both for positive feedback on this..will post again on this thread when sorted..Smile

(01-09-2013, 09:39 PM)Barkas Wrote:  I had a metallic clonking noise on the front of mine, at speed over a rough scabby surface road, there would be a heavy rattle, I could wind the window down and hear it outside too. It turned out to be the two pins that the calipers are mounted onto, each caliper slides on them to centralize themselves over the disc. There is a replacement kit from Citroen, costs £25 (4 years ago), you get 4 pins and 4 lock bolts and pin-rubbers, To check yours, remove the front wheel, get hold of the calipers and see if you can firmly rock them from side to side, they may even clonk as you try them.

Barkas..Cheers for that tip..just had the calipers off today & those pins were well rusted-up Sad dressed 'em up with fine emery, then blathered-on some Copaslip & all back together..what I did NOT do was try rock 'em as you suggest..after reading your post I whip the wheels off next Sun (day off work) & check..?? Cheers now :thumbsup:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Usual Suspect for this post:
  • RolyG
(01-09-2013, 07:53 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  I agree with Ron it does sound like wheel bearings, as they get worse it turns into a rumble. Drop links to may as well change them and it should sort it out.

Had a humming noise as well ,decided it was coming from the n/s/f wheel. stripped it out today & discovered the outer bearing track was cracked. fitted a new bearing but still had a humming noise
stripped out the o/s/f and found that bearing was dry and both tracks were pitted, fitted a new bearing and noise has now stopped. The n/s/f bearing was fitted 2.5 yrs ago by citroen just after i bought the vehicle and i suspect the drive shaft nut had been over tightend, i would imagine the o/s/f bearing was the original part. This vehicle has now done 51,000 plus miles so i suspect that may be the average life of wheel brgs for this vehicle.
Firstly thanks for the feedback from you all.
Yes the 'humming noise' did turn out to be the front wheel bearing..(it had now also adopted a squeek-squeek sound after about 10 miles..which I suspect may have been coming from hot brake).
The task of removing the swivel-hub & then the old bearing, plus renewal & refit was IMO a two-man job..this was highlighted when we both were pressing the bearings both in & out..two brains & 4 hands made up a decent team. But we did not rush the job in hand, & the day before I'd taken off the wheel, then wire-brushed all the nuts, then sprayed with diesel on them & the strut-clamp.
My bearing was from Eurocarparts, not the cheapest option at £32 (double E-bay's price for one), but this was a Lucas item, so may be of good quality..time will tell no doubt..?
Drop-links will be next Sunday's job...Cheers now.
Drop links are easy to do, you will need two tools for the job, a torx driver or allen key to stop the bolt from spinning and a spanner to undo the bolt, when the new ones are on make sure you tighten them properly as they can come lose and the knocking sound will be back as I found out last year.
hope this helps.