Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
LOW SPEED STEERING
Noticed that the steering on my 2011 XTR semi-auto appears " notchy " at low speeds especially lock-to-lock or pulling away from standstill. Anyone experienced this / any advice ? Thanks in advance.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
I have the same problem currently with my Toyota Avensis. I took it to the Dealers last month to check it and they recognized that there was an issue with the power steering virtually cutting out when turning the steering wheel quickly.

They basically called it a charateristic ' whatever that means ' and told me they where all the same. Not happy with there response, they let me test drive the service managers new avensis and sure enough it suffered the same problem, infact it was slightly worse!!! They said they would send an advisary to Toyota. They said that my avensis was fitted with am electric steering rack. Does the multispace have one of these?

I found it slightly worrying in that it has cought me out a few times when I have tried to pull over quickly only for the steering to tighten up resulting in me nearly hitting the kerb! But what can you do?
I'd be having none of it.
Surely an MOT test would flag that up in the future
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • BerlingoHDI
(08-10-2012, 07:13 PM)white_lightning Wrote:  I have the same problem currently with my Toyota Avensis. I took it to the Dealers last month to check it and they recognized that there was an issue with the power steering virtually cutting out when turning the steering wheel quickly.

They basically called it a charateristic ' whatever that means ' and told me they where all the same. Not happy with there response, they let me test drive the service managers new avensis and sure enough it suffered the same problem, infact it was slightly worse!!! They said they would send an advisary to Toyota. They said that my avensis was fitted with am electric steering rack. Does the multispace have one of these?

I found it slightly worrying in that it has cought me out a few times when I have tried to pull over quickly only for the steering to tighten up resulting in me nearly hitting the kerb! But what can you do?
Now, thats bad :eek: No such problems re power-steering cutting out or finding it hard to steer with the Blingo. Only seems to be noticable at approx. " walking " pace, and even then the operation of the power-steering seems unaffected, its just as I say " notchy "
I had a very disconcerting problem with the power steering, similar has been mentioned in other threads. The steering wheel, while making a long turn would at a certain position (about 2 oclock or 1/6 of a revolution when a right turn) lose its 'back' pressure and turn far more than expected. Feeling like driving on ice! The direction wasnt affected. I had the hydraulic ram on the rack (it is a separate component) changed in the hope that that would fix it. After the replacement the steering was horribly light but now it has settled down and it feels almost normal, except for a notchiness simillar to that which is described above. cross fingers maybe it is fixed if notchiness is a common thing with the blingo. Confusedcratch:

(08-10-2012, 09:41 PM)evdama Wrote:  I'd be having none of it.

oh , evdama, mine passed a test before I got it, with the problem. I was surprised too but apparently it doesnt show up cos it only shows while in motion. There is no rolling road or road test in the MOT.
Got front tyres changed today to Kumho's as my tyres were down to about 2.5 mm and road noise was increasing with wear and wheels, brake pads checked etc ( everything looked fine ) Notchiness now all but disappeared. No idea why, but here's hoping it stays away. Thanx for your replies.
(08-10-2012, 09:41 PM)evdama Wrote:  I'd be having none of it.

Not so sure, its not long been for the test and nothing shown up. At what stage of an MOT would this show up?

Just to try to further explain what I am experiencing. If I start the engine and just try to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock quickly it feels very very tight/heavy. Its perfectly ok when i turn it slowly lock to lock but not when done at speed. It feels like the rack is struggling to keep up with me turning the wheel and I can here a small whine.

I was under the impression that power steering was designed to help you steer at low speeds but this is defo an issue. Please note that this is my Avensis 10 plate that im talking about.

Do the new Berlingos have an electric steering rack?
Yes I must have electric steering as I cannot find an oil filler for it.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
Hi White Lightning

have a look at this:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i...pic=108762

Tony
@tony

Cheers for that - makes interesting reading.

Im handing the car back in 6 weeks so will not be my problem much longer.

Thanks.