Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.9 Average
Load compensator valve
My berlingo failed the mot on the load compensator valve as it was ceased, managed to remove it and free it but on putting it back am not to sure what the adjustment should be for the spring locking nut!! any on done one of these before, also failed on o/s headlight being lower than the right by a fraction!! and help would be grateful...

(21-05-2012, 06:23 PM)Daivanman Wrote:  My berlingo failed the mot on the load compensator valve as it was ceased, managed to remove it and free it but on putting it back am not to sure what the adjustment should be for the spring locking nut!! any on done one of these before, also failed on o/s headlight being lower than the right by a fraction!! and help would be grateful...

left i ment!!!
Hi, I've attached the workshop set up of the compensator but it looks like a specialized job.
I had the same problem on mine but if look at the spring's straight tail you should be able to see the nip marks from the grub screw of the adjuster. Remove the grub screw from the adjuster and position the nip marks in the center of the hole. Now put a mark from the top of the adjuster on the spring so you can set the position again when tightening up. I used a paint marker so it was easy to see under the car.
I had to remove the spring completly first. Good luck.Confusedalut:

.pdf   Rear brake compensator.pdf (Size: 147.52 KB / Downloads: 68)
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
From reading around on this interweb, the basic feeling is that the lever has to be loose on just the van weight so as open, and closed with passengers or a big load , which is what ive set it at and hopefully it will pass the test!!! any idea's on the lights, there out by 1.8 according to the slip. ive tried the adjustment screw for the vertical but which lines am i looking for to centre ?

(23-05-2012, 08:14 AM)Daivanman Wrote:  From reading around on this interweb, the basic feeling is that the lever has to be loose on just the van weight so as open, and closed with passengers or a big load , which is what ive set it at and hopefully it will pass the test!!! any idea's on the lights, there out by 1.8 according to the slip. ive tried the adjustment screw for the vertical but which lines am i looking for to centre ?

also, if i centre main beam, does that automatically centre the dipped?
Adjust your lights on dipped beam. Usually if mine are out the m.o.t.'er will adjust them while they are testing it, charge me an extra fiver, fail it and pass it all in one go. This is to keep their fail rate OK with the d.o.t.
Rolleyes
Took my car to halfords for mot!! bad mistake, 50% off mots at the moment, but they dont tell you about the partial re-test fee of 27 quid if it fails and you take it else where to get it fixed!!! 70 quid to do the valve and lights!!! having a laff i thought
A lesson I learned long ago - don't take your vehicle to any of the local stop in centers for mot's. They will fail it on anything that should be an advisory then charge you a fortune to fix it:censored:
Never go for cut price Mot's!
I always use the local village garage, firm but fair.:thumbsup:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • ron
Took it to the garage up the road from me to get the jobs done, new tyre fitted which i supplied, reset the valve and realigned the headlight for a tenner!! just hope the f@uckers pass it now ..
top this, took it back for re-test yesterday. Passed, but even though it has a new tyre fitted, the retest still states a nearly bald tyre lol halfords can forget it, never again.
YEEE HAAA, springs to mind!
Still, the kids have to start some where in life.:lol: