Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
Loud knocking !!!!
Hello all
Started my berlingo this morning, there was a really loud knocking coming from the engine, moved off slowly and not the usual power in 1st and 2nd, once into 3rd knocking gone and all fine all day.
Went to start it this evening again and loud knocking again.
Oil is fine, could it be the diesel pump?
Please help as I need it for work
Was it running rough and the engine shaking. It could be you have an air leak in the fuel lines or filter that is causing the rough running untill the pump has pulled fuel back through.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(27-11-2013, 08:05 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Was it running rough and the engine shaking. It could be you have an air leak in the fuel lines or filter that is causing the rough running untill the pump has pulled fuel back through.

Was running ok tomcat just major knocking and no power in low gears. Notice the inside of the drive belt frayed so im thinking the crank pulley may be on way out and timing slipped.
New belt and water pump about 10k ago
What is the engine oil grade ?20w/50 ?
inside of belt frayed? i would get it checked that no belt has found its way into the cambelt area as that will cause timing to jump and all manner of issues, if belt has frayed i doubt its crank pulley, more likely to be tensioner, but diagnosis of this is best done in person via trusted garage/in person not via internet IMO

worth getting it checked, i hope it is simple tho and not what i said, air in fuel lines is lots easier and cheaper to fix Wink
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dumdum for this post:
  • goldfish
(27-11-2013, 11:38 PM)dumdum Wrote:  inside of belt frayed? i would get it checked that no belt has found its way into the cambelt area as that will cause timing to jump and all manner of issues, if belt has frayed i doubt its crank pulley, more likely to be tensioner, but diagnosis of this is best done in person via trusted garage/in person not via internet IMO

worth getting it checked, i hope it is simple tho and not what i said, air in fuel lines is lots easier and cheaper to fix Wink

It doesn't sound like a timing issue to me if after a while it cleared up and ran fine all day. However, it does sound like you may have a sticky injector. When they stick with the needle off the seat it sounds almost as if the big ends have failed. Leave them to warm up or give the offending injector a sharp tap with a universal spanner and brass drift to free off the needle and they run OK again until cold. Quite a common problem on the XUD engines. Caused by modern diesel not having the lubricating qualities of the old higher sulphur content diesel. Doesn't help that diesel now contains bio fuel that is hygroscopic - plays havoc with common rail injection systems.

I would first off whilst it is knocking crack the injectors one at a time, if the knocking goes and the running doesn't get any rougher when one is cracked then you have found the problem and the offending injector.

jay
Don't know about the newer type of injectors but the older variety when sticking off seat allowed the injector pipe to get very hot , the air from the cylinder was getting compressed and pushed into the injector and fuel pipe . So a hot pipe and misfire was a sign of sticking injector Rolleyes

Don't think it can happen with a common rail system .???.