Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 3.21 Average
M2 or Mk3?
Question 
Hi :wave:

We've owned our Mk1 Berlingo for 8 years now and it has just clocked over the 200,000 mark and we're thinking the time may have come to change her for a newer model. Sad

We don't do a huge mileage any more so mpg isn't particularly important, and the potential for higher running costs (mpg aside) of diesels puts us off slightly.

Are we right to be wary of secondhand diesels?

Also, which model should we be looking at?

We insist on a sunroof / modutop and air con and a bright colour as we like the funkiness of the Berlingo and hate muted colours.

I understand that the Mk2 is basically a mildly facelifted Mk1, am I right?

Is the Mk3 significantly larger on the outside / smaller on the inside than the older model/s? It seems to have smaller / less storage space for instance?

Are we better to buy a late Mk2 than an early Mk3?

And with with either model are there any particular questions / points to look out for pertinant to that model?

Cheers Big Grin

James
Mk 3 in my oppinion, will hold its price better, will look more modern, is bigger, and will cost more I1m sure than a good mk 2. Only had a mk 3 but very impressed [apart from couple of points, but hey all cars have negative bits].
Pays your money and takes ya choice. I guess.
Good luck , whichever model you get.
Pete
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pch for this post:
  • jamesf
Cheers Pete Confusedalut:

You mention 'rattles' in your signature, and I am seeing there is a substantial thread on the Mk3 cars having these Rolleyes. Are these being resolved by Citroen? Presumably an older Mk3 is going to be out of warranty as it happens so maybe I should be asking if there is an easy solution for owners! :lol:

Price-wise, late Mk2s and early Mk3s are about the same. Both seem to be c.£5-7000.

Agree the later one looks better and should hold its value better too - although we seem to hang on to our cars until they fall apart so the resale value is unlikely to bother us too much Big Grin

Any other thoughts gratefully received

Ta, James

Hi there James...

Are we right to be wary of secondhand diesels?

To be fair you should be wary of any second hand vehicle unless it's bought from a dealer and has a guarantee of some sort. I bought Mk.2 Desire 1.6 HDi Diesel, I deliberately didn't buy the Mk.3 as it's bigger than I need. If you buy a diesel make absolutely sure that it's been dealer/approved repairer serviced from new.

Also, which model should we be looking at?

We insist on a sunroof / modutop and air con and a bright colour as we like the funkiness of the Berlingo and hate muted colours.

The Desire will be the model you have to get if you decide on a Mk.2.....I know nothing about Mk.3 variations but I'm sure someone here can help with that.

I understand that the Mk2 is basically a mildly facelifted Mk1, am I right?

Basically yes. But I'm sure that there are more choices of engine available.

Is the Mk3 significantly larger on the outside / smaller on the inside than the older model/s? It seems to have smaller / less storage space for instance?

I believe that the Mk.3 is bigger inside and out
It may not have so many cubby holes but overall I think there's more internal space, once again, one of the Mk.3 owners here will be able to put you right.

Are we better to buy a late Mk2 than an early Mk3?

That depends on the individual vehicle and how it's been looked after. I've seen some quite tatty Mk.3s that are only a few years old.....and I've seen some absolutely pristine Mk.2s that are considerably older. (Mine!! Wink )

And with with either model are there any particular questions / points to look out for pertinant to that model?

The late Mk.2 models were pretty much sorted out by the time that Citroen/Peugeot decided to introduce the Mk.3
The Mk.3 has been known to have suspension problems and uneven rear tyre wear problems on a fairly small proportion of vehicles.

Good luck with your search and don't be afraid of looking at the Peugeot equivalent models....they're much the same.

Although I'm certain that some people are going to take issue with me on this....I bought a Warranty Direct policy to cover me for any unexpected repairs.
It cost a bit under a pound a day which seems expensive until you look at dealers workshop labour charges. As long as the repairer is VAT registered you
are able to use one of your own choice. I'm very fortunate to have two excellent repairers close by me.
The peace of mind is worth the expense, in my opinion.

The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • jamesf, ron
Personally I think the Mk2 looks better but maybe that's just me!

This thread may be of interest:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=171
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shedpete for this post:
  • jamesf
There will be better secondhand spares availbility for a MK2, and they are still sold as 'First' vans so that also might help with some non specifically car parts.
Just looking through the pages of this forum will reveal there is a better technical knowledge-base too.
One caveat is although MK1 and 2 look roughly similar there may be hidden differences too.
My two mk3's ,just 2 yrs apart,looked almost identical but were definatley not.
Im on my second MK3 but still miss my MK2.
Dont forget if you found a really good solid late-reg MK2 at a good price (likely) you could always have it repainted.
Muply does funky - he can advise!.
Also you would end up with the most fully developed (and probably better equipped for the money)version rather than the first of the new model therefore avoiding teething troubles.
A dull colour would more probably have been owned by a mature minded previous owner who looked after it well.
I think a better proposition than an early MK3 but thats just the ramblings of a redneck
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • jamesf, ron
(10-04-2012, 02:19 PM)evdama Wrote:  There will be better secondhand spares availbility for a MK2, and they are still sold as 'First' vans so that also might help with some non specifically car parts.

Not any more sadly - the First was withdrawn from the UK market Feb 2012: e.g.:

http://www.automotiveindustrydigest.com/...ngo-first/

But as you say there are shed loads out there already, and plenty of spares.
Cheers everyone - esp the appropriate link! !!
(10-04-2012, 02:08 PM)shedpete Wrote:  Personally I think the Mk2 looks better but maybe that's just me!

With you on this one Pete.:wave::wave:

Don't like the looks of the Mk3 and hopefully my Mk2 Multi is here for the long haul.....:lol::lol::lol:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Mk3, much better thought out van, Mk2s are retarded