Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
starting problem and blue smoke
hello guys. i bought a berlingo abt 3 month ago. its not the cleanest car around but is ok. it got 148 k miles. its the 800 version. i believe its a 1.9d. w reg. year 2000

been having few troubles with it since the beginning it was hard to start. the glow plug symbol would come on but it wudnt start but with the easy start spray it started easily. but since two weeks ago the pre heater light doesnt come on all the time. it does now n then. i replaced the glow plug but is still the same. wat wud be the problem?

2nd issue. the van has stopped running fine. seems like its running on three cylinders. very little power n having loads of blue smoke. its very sluggish. i dont think the van is a turbo. so y blue smoke n lil power. it seem to tick over fine sometime then goes back on been sluggish n very juddery, when i changed the glow plugs. i noticed fair amount of oil in few pipe. see in the picture below with red arrow. n the green arrow shows a broken pipe on the air filter n which looks like a catch can which there was abt of oil in it. oil level seem fine.

very annoying. wud be great if some1 wud shed some light

thanks yash

[Image: 65731_1731744143032_1521364751_1712397_4829765_n.jpg]
Welcome to the forum yash, there are some useful people around the forum so hopefully they will help you out.

The blue smoke is a clear sign that oil is mixing with the fuel and being burnt inside the cylinder, producing the smoke colour blue. It will most likely also be the reason why its running poorly, with low performance. Should also explain why your glow plugs are fouled too. It's possibly a valve/seal that has worn somewhere, but which exactly, im not sure. Hopefully, like i said, someone can help you further.
thanks for reply mate. which kind of valve i am lookng at?
Hi the first thing to check re the starting is that the glow plugs are actually getting power when the light on the dash comes on.(connect a test light to one of the glow plugs and see if it lights when the light on the dash comes on.It could be the control relay for the glow plugs that has gone faulty or has a broken wire/bad connection to it.)
If the plugs aren't getting power you could connect a wire from the +terminal of the battery to the top of one of the plugs and keep it connected for about 20 sec then disconnect it and try to start .

The blue smoke could be caused by numerous things.
The oil level being over full could cause it.
Check the air filter and intake isn't blocked.
Also the egr valve is not stuck (if you take the hose clip off next to your red arrow next to the yellow arrow in your picture and look up the intake flap in there should be open.)
There are other things that could cause it but these are probably the most simple.
hello mate. thanks for reply. where is the relay location? the egr valve. how can i check if it needs replacement. is the egr valve in the metal hose that looks like a flexy. or its the bit where the intake manifold, connects to the air filter pipe. there was loads of carbon deposit in the intake manifold. should i take it out n clean it? wud it make difference?? thanks
Hi cant remember where the relay/timer location is exactly but if you follow the wire from the glow plugs you should find it.Are the plugs not gettig power?I think there is a fuseable link for them but will need to check to be sure.
The egr valve is in the short pipe between the intake manifold and the pipe from the air filter (the part that the metal flexi is attaced to.)There are also two vaccum hose on the bottom of this check they are not split.
If you clean this to make sure it is not sticking shut.(The butterfly should be open fully with out the engine running).There is also an electrical connector on it make sure it is not corroded.
Cleaning the manifold would also help the smoke if it is relly dirty.Maybe the last owner had overfilled the oil and if there are a lot of oil deposits in the manifold it will cause it to run smoky.
Hope this helps.
thanks alot mate. gonna do all this tmoz. n gonna update ! thanks aagain
hi all,this is a first post on forum.
(12-12-2010, 04:30 PM)yash Wrote:  hello guys. i bought a berlingo abt 3 month ago. its not the cleanest car around but is ok. it got 148 k miles. its the 800 version. i believe its a 1.9d. w reg. year 2000

been having few troubles with it since the beginning it was hard to start. the glow plug symbol would come on but it wudnt start but with the easy start spray it started easily. but since two weeks ago the pre heater light doesnt come on all the time. it does now n then. i replaced the glow plug but is still the same. wat wud be the problem?

2nd issue. the van has stopped running fine. seems like its running on three cylinders. very little power n having loads of blue smoke. its very sluggish. i dont think the van is a turbo. so y blue smoke n lil power. it seem to tick over fine sometime then goes back on been sluggish n very juddery, when i changed the glow plugs. i noticed fair amount of oil in few pipe. see in the picture below with red arrow. n the green arrow shows a broken pipe on the air filter n which looks like a catch can which there was abt of oil in it. oil level seem fine.

very annoying. wud be great if some1 wud shed some light

thanks yash

[Image: 65731_1731744143032_1521364751_1712397_4829765_n.jpg]

Hi Yash I had this problem last year and i was getting p***ed of with it . when the van was starting there was a lot of blue smoke coming from my exhaust and when i was driving it was very slussish as if it was missing a cylinder ,I thought it was glow plug problem as well , the mechanic has done a dianostic test and it showed up a few problems first the timing belt was out ,then the timing of the engine was out of time ( which i had found it was hard to believe) , then finally the air flow meter needed replaced and that had fixed all the problems and the van is running better than it has ever been. I hope that this will help , I would check your air flow meter first .