Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MOT FAIL
So I managed to fix my Airbag light issue :woop: only to fail the MOT on other issues:

1. NEARSIDE FRONT BEARING ROUGH WHEN TURNING WHEEL.
A. ? IS THIS SOMETHING I CAN DO? HOW MUCH FOR A MECHANIC TO CHANGE A WHEEL BEARING? HOW TO CHECK IF A BEARING IS GONE OR ROUGH?

2. HORN NOT WORKING.
A. ? WILL TRY BSI RESET. ANY OTHER INFO WELCOME

3. NEARSIDE REAR EXHAUST MAJOR LEAK OF GASSES.
A. PICKED UP BACKBOX SILENCER £30 NEW.

4. REAR PARKING BRAKE UNBALANCE 2%/40%.
A. ALREADY HAVE NEW REAR SHOES IN CUPBOARD. ANY STEP BY STEP INFO ON REAR SHOE CHANGE?

5. BRAKE UNBALANCE ALONG AXEL.
A. HAD TO PHONE UP TO CHECK FRONT/REAR (REAR) HOPEFULLY NEW SHOES FIXES.

6. NEARSIDE REAR TYRE BELOW LEGAL LIMIT.
a. SWAP SPARE WITH ILLEGAL TYRE. IS A SPARE TYRE A FAIL?

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I AM REALLY SUSPICIOS ABOUT Halfords AUTO CENTRE £27 COST HALF PRICE NOW I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO CLAW BACK THERE MONEY IN THERE WORKSHOP ESPECIALLY THE EXHAUST AS I HAVE CHECKED THE EXHAUST ON MANY OCCASIONS AND YES THERE IS RUST BUT TO SAY MAJOR LEAK IS NONSANCE, BACK TYRE IS 1.6 BANG ON. £13 RETEST AFTER I FIX WITHIN TEN DAYS.

:censored:[/b]
If you carry the spare tyre that will be a fail so leave it at home. For the horn that could be an earth issue on the steering wheel there are threads on here covering it. The wheel bearing starts off as a faint rumble and gets worse if it has lost its grease. Jack the wheel up and give it a spin also rock it from side to side.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(05-11-2013, 07:57 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  If you carry the spare tyre that will be a fail so leave it at home. For the horn that could be an earth issue on the steering wheel there are threads on here covering it. The wheel bearing starts off as a faint rumble and gets worse if it has lost its grease. Jack the wheel up and give it a spin also rock it from side to side.

ILL GIVE IT A GO :thumbsup:
IS IT POSSIBLE TO JUST REGREASE THE BEARING?
Not really if the grease has come out it means the seals have failed and the bearing is knackered and it will only get worse.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
You can present the car with no spare, that is fine, it isn't required to be present to pass. But if it is fitted, it must be legal. I've done this myself before as I wanted to source my own tyres elsewhere.

(05-11-2013, 08:20 AM)mitumatu Wrote:  ILL GIVE IT A GO :thumbsup:

Wouldn't you have done most of the work required to change it anyway at that point? Has been a while since I did wheel bearings...

(05-11-2013, 07:26 AM)mitumatu Wrote:  JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I AM REALLY SUSPICIOS ABOUT Halfords AUTO CENTRE £27 COST HALF PRICE NOW I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO CLAW BACK THERE MONEY IN THERE WORKSHOP ESPECIALLY THE EXHAUST AS I HAVE CHECKED THE EXHAUST ON MANY OCCASIONS AND YES THERE IS RUST BUT TO SAY MAJOR LEAK IS NONSANCE, BACK TYRE IS 1.6 BANG ON. £13 RETEST AFTER I FIX WITHIN TEN DAYS.

Probably depends on the branch, but I've used Halfords here a few times (tesco vouchers), and they have been VERY thorough in picking things up on the service, but always honest as far as I could tell.

I regularly use another place here that does half price MOTs originally expecting them to find work, but they've always passed.
(05-11-2013, 08:30 AM)jamesg Wrote:  You can present the car with no spare, that is fine, it isn't required to be present to pass. But if it is fitted, it must be legal. I've done this myself before as I wanted to source my own tyres elsewhere.

Wouldn't you have done most of the work required to change it anyway at that point? Has been a while since I did wheel bearings...
YES YOUR RIGHT

(05-11-2013, 08:30 AM)jamesg Wrote:  You can present the car with no spare, that is fine, it isn't required to be present to pass. But if it is fitted, it must be legal. I've done this myself before as I wanted to source my own tyres elsewhere.

(05-11-2013, 07:26 AM)mitumatu Wrote:  JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I AM REALLY SUSPICIOS ABOUT Halfords AUTO CENTRE £27 COST HALF PRICE NOW I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO CLAW BACK THERE MONEY IN THERE WORKSHOP ESPECIALLY THE EXHAUST AS I HAVE CHECKED THE EXHAUST ON MANY OCCASIONS AND YES THERE IS RUST BUT TO SAY MAJOR LEAK IS NONSANCE, BACK TYRE IS 1.6 BANG ON. £13 RETEST AFTER I FIX WITHIN TEN DAYS.

Probably depends on the branch, but I've used Halfords here a few times (tesco vouchers), and they have been VERY thorough in picking things up on the service, but always honest as far as I could tell.

I regularly use another place here that does half price MOTs originally expecting them to find work, but they've always passed.
COULD BE ME IN A BAD MOOD Big Grin
Even if the exhaust doesn't have a 'major' leak the rest of the stuff would have been picked up by any tester. 1.6mm on a tyre is like a slick and regardless of if being 'bang on' the limit why would you want a tyre that low with bad weather just around the corner?

If you've already got new shoes does that mean you already new the back breaks were past their best? Confusedcratch:

I've used halfords a few times for exhausts on different vehicles, they've always been competitive and professional.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
(05-11-2013, 08:50 AM)steve valentine Wrote:  Even if the exhaust doesn't have a 'major' leak the rest of the stuff would have been picked up by any tester. 1.6mm on a tyre is like a slick and regardless of if being 'bang on' the limit why would you want a tyre that low with bad weather just around the corner?

If you've already got new shoes does that mean you already new the back breaks were past their best? Confusedcratch:

I've used halfords a few times for exhausts on different vehicles, they've always been competitive and professional.
NEW SHOES WAS MY OCD WHEN I GOT THE VAN HAD CHECKED NOT NEEDED BEFORE SO STORED AWAY.

TYRE FAIR POINT

MAYBE LITTLE HELP WITH THE ISSUES OTHER THAN PICK ON STUFF THAT DONT HELP ME PASS MY MOT
Another possibility for rear brake unbalance on axle is the flexible pipe blocked .Mine failed for this (1.9d 96 reg), :censored: I am waiting for two new ones at the moment
(05-11-2013, 09:09 AM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Another possibility for rear brake unbalance on axle is the flexible pipe blocked .Mine failed for this (1.9d 96 reg), :censored: I am waiting for two new ones at the moment
:thumbsup: