Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 4.15 Average
MOT FAILED!!!!!! Horn is posessed
(14-09-2012, 04:28 PM)LloydyBoy Wrote:  OK mate thanks. Also, there isn't a chance that tinkering with earth wires, comm2000 etc could mess my BSI up in any way is there?......... Would it be wise to disconnect battery before 'tinkering' and then reconnect and do a BSI reset?

It'll be ok as the com2000 unit is working ok, so it's earth is good.
If you want to be on the safe side do it.
Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
I've just had the steering wheel off today for the usual trouble of no horn when driving and horn working when the key is removed. I cleaned up the earth connection and now have a working horn when driving.

If you look at the photo you will see a red wire which is the feed to the horn switch ( air bag unit ) and the black cable is the earth return back through the right hand ribbon cable. ( the bottom of the airbag has four brass contact points which make with corresponding contact points on the steering wheel, the black wire then completes the circuit with the ribbon ).
The black cable has a connector which pushes into a hole in the body of the steering wheel and it is at this point that a bad earth connection can be found. This original connection is a poor affair with little contact pressure and a small contact area, I cleaned up the wheel and connector at this point and reassembled to test and found it now worked. Following this I drilled a small hole in the wheel and connected the black wire to it with a self tapping screw for a more secure and permanent fix.
Hopefully the above will be of some interest to you.
[Image: DSC05062.jpg]
[Image: DSC05066.jpg]
[-] The following 10 users say Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • andy-womble, Aussie Berlingo, cbeck113, chronyx, Owen Moose, ron, Rustscrat, smartcut, Tomcat3, Tubby
Sound job Geoff....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Nice one geoff :woop:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
Thanks for all the advice fellas......... I secured a piece of Earth cable around the bottom of the steering column, and the other end I secured to the accelerator bolt in the footwell. Hey presto, she now works!!!!.............

At least I can give any 'nob-head' drivers (and there's pleanty of em round here) a blast with the horn now, so well chuffed!

Thanks again fellas!

Oh and Geoff! As impressed as I am by the job you did there, I'm so bloody pleased that I didn't have to tackle that on mine!..........
(15-09-2012, 12:52 PM)LloydyBoy Wrote:  Oh and Geoff! As impressed as I am by the job you did there, I'm so bloody pleased that I didn't have to tackle that on mine!..........

Each to their own Lloydyboy the main thing is you have a successful outcome to your problem.
With me I was curious to see what was under the covers so to speak after seeing all those horn failed postings.
I noticed on a link to youtube showing airbag removal the chap in the video advises removal of the clear plastic speedo and rev counter dial cover on the dash - no need - just undo the three screws holding on the steering column top and bottom trim cover and you have easy access to the spring clips.
P.S. I'm chuffed too and have given the horn a good few trial honks with a contented feeling inside.
(15-09-2012, 01:45 PM)geoff Wrote:  
(15-09-2012, 12:52 PM)LloydyBoy Wrote:  Oh and Geoff! As impressed as I am by the job you did there, I'm so bloody pleased that I didn't have to tackle that on mine!..........

Each to their own Lloydyboy the main thing is you have a successful outcome to your problem.
With me I was curious to see what was under the covers so to speak after seeing all those horn failed postings.
I noticed on a link to youtube showing airbag removal the chap in the video advises removal of the clear plastic speedo and rev counter dial cover on the dash - no need - just undo the three screws holding on the steering column top and bottom trim cover and you have easy access to the spring clips.
P.S. I'm chuffed too and have given the horn a good few trial honks with a contented feeling inside.

Nice one mate. :thumbsup: I'm pleased you found an easier way of doing it than was suggested on You Tube. I guess a lot of these things are trial and error. I'm rushing to get my problems fixed at the minute coz need to get the van back in for a retest within 7 days. If I'm feeling brave and when I've got more time I might have a butchers and try and do something similar to you........... Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to LloydyBoy for this post:
  • RolyG
Good luck with the re-test !
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • LloydyBoy, RolyG
(15-09-2012, 01:45 PM)geoff Wrote:  

Thank you, I wasnt brave enough to take the airbag out so just ran a jump lead between the steering column and an earth, tested the horn with the engine running, success, removed one end of the jumper, horn failed, reconnected to an earth ! SUCCESS Yes! Thank you guys!
Ah, glad I came across this, I've also discovered I have a phantom horn that works when it feels like it! I think I'll try Lloydyboys solution!