Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.56 Average
MPG anomolies.
Hi, I have a 2003 Berlingo with the 1.9D engine.
I recently drove a 100mile journey fully loaded with five people, camping gear, food and drink and all cooking equiptment. I had luggage on the roof rack as well. I cruised at 70 - 80mph when I could. I calculated a 30mpg average consumption which I thought was pretty poor.

On the return journey (along the exact same route) We were one person less, no food or drink and all the luggage inside the car and the roof bars removed. I drove slower never exceeding 70mph and often doing less. This time I calculated 68mpg! which is obviously fantastic.

Is this possible or have I messed up my calculations somehow?
Did the person you left behind consume ALL the food and drink? Smile

I think that 30mpg could be realistic given the weight, roof rack, speed and so on. I am more surprised by the 68mpg figure but not being a 1.9D owner I am ready to be corrected!
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Well the power required to overcome drag increases as the cube of the velocity so the luggage on the roof could account for that. Check this out.

Tom
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

obvious.

biggest factor is less speed
next roof bars off
then less weight
It's the 68mpg calculation that has prompted me to start this thread.
30mpg is disappointing but realistic.
Has anyone else achieved these kind of figures with the 1.9D?

A comment on drag, the flat back of a Berlingo causes big problems, there's a vacuum constantly pulling the car back. It's a shame, although practical for loading, it's awful for high speed economy.
(06-06-2011, 02:51 PM)MattFreeman Wrote:  A comment on drag, the flat back of a Berlingo causes big problems, there's a vacuum constantly pulling the car back. It's a shame, although practical for loading, it's awful for high speed economy.

I've noticed that. All the dust and airborne crap gets sucked into this vacuum and sticks to the rear door like the proverbial to a blanket......
(06-06-2011, 02:31 PM)Chris Wrote:  Did the person you left behind consume ALL the food and drink? Smile

Were you in convoy with Martin j90xxxl, bet he ate all the pies :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Oi! Womble! NO!
People in houses made of breakable materials should not project objects of great mass.

Mmm. Pies. Back in a bit...:chef:
maybe you were eager to get away so right foot was down more, coming back not so keen so right foot slightly lighter???? Traffic on motorways, stop starts, supermarker fuel, or garage fuel, plus all the factors as stated. Wind. Did you inflate tyres to compensate for extra weight going? more people = bulging tyres....so so many varients.
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
I have this engine........ My advice, DO NOT do over 70mph fully loaded or otherwise...... drinks like a fish!! over 3000 rpm anyway... no other solution I'm afraid Sad
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I have the 1.9D but I have no idea how to work out the MPG lol, sorry can't be of help, I can say I done £135 in two weeks of 5 days going about 55 miles a day, just don't know what it works out at and I just had myself in the car
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White