Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.73 Average
Mk 2 Rough guide to changing n/s headlight bulb
I had to carry out the horrible task of changing the nearside headlight bulb today, I took a few snaps as I went along so I could post them on here and hopefully help anyone else out who needs to do it in the future.

[Image: 9634973429_6298fb7b11.jpg]
For those who have never looked, access to the nearside bulb is almost impossible due to the position of the under bonnet fuse box.

[Image: 9638112362_b9ed4645d6.jpg]
The first thing I did was remove the radiator grill, it's held on with four screws at the top, remove these and gently pull it upwards to remove.

[Image: 9634875493_aef203a4c4.jpg]
Next I removed the screw that hold the headlight unit in place, one at the top and the other is at the bottom of the unit just above the bumper. The light unit will now be loose which helps with accessing the bulb.

[Image: 9638117958_d33804ace7.jpg]
I then removed the air intake pipe and removed the top screw from the panel which the pipe attaches too. This panel will then have some movement in it which will help with access, though be careful not to damage it as there are a couple of other screws holding it further down.

Finally remove the fuse box cover and you'll have better (but not brilliant) access to the bulb, it is a H4, to remove it just pull off the power plug, undo the spring clip and it lifts out. You can then fit your new bulb and put everything back together.

Sadly I wasn't able to remove the sidelight bulb using this method as I couldn't grasp hold of the bulb to remove because my hands are big, someone with smaller hands might be able to do it though. it looks like I might have to take the headlight unit out when one of those blows!

Anyway I hope someone finds this useful!
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post:
  • addo, Dunnock, ghost123uk, ron, Tomcat3
Yep! I can do all of the lamps in the headlights either side.
I take a size 7 glove to give you some idea how small my hands are!
Headlamps take about 5 minutes. It is fiddly though!
Your best bet is to get a child to do it for you if your hands
are enormous. It's not a difficult task and I think most 12/13 year olds could do it.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • addo, RolyG
(31-08-2013, 08:11 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  Yep! I can do all of the lamps in the headlights either side.
Headlamp take about 5 minutes. It is fiddly though!
are enormous. It's not a difficult task and I think most 12/13 year olds could do it.

My hands take a size 10 glove!

I like the idea of using a child, I've only another 5 years before mine is old enough Confusedillyme:
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
I'd always wanted to have children, but failed to see these extra benefits previously.
Quote:My hands take a size 10 glove!
My mouth fits a size 9 1/2 shoe. I prove this regularly.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to addo for this post:
  • ddb, Ol'Jeffers, RolyG
(01-09-2013, 08:13 AM)addo Wrote:  I'd always wanted to have children, but failed to see these extra benefits previously.
Quote:My hands take a size 10 glove!
My mouth fits a size 9 1/2 shoe. I prove this regularly.

You're far too hard on yourself,but,not wanting to offend,I'll agree with you.:whistle::whistle:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • addo
(31-08-2013, 08:11 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  Yep! I can do all of the lamps in the headlights either side.
Headlamp take about 5 minutes. It is fiddly though!

Thats a good use for nipers "OL"Jeffers.
Well....they can do it in their spare time when not up a chimney somewhere, after they've washed their hands, of course!!
I'll see if I can provide some pics as a guide to doing this as I've really never experienced any problems and I've changed my headlight bulbs a couple of times.
The only fiddly bit is knowing how the spring clip that holds the bulb in works. I have the same arrangement on my motorcycle so I'm used to doing it.
Well a couple of weeks after changing it and I've noticed the new bulb on the nearside appears dimmer than the one on the offside :-S I fitted a standard bulb but discovered the one on the other side is a Philips bulb. I guess it must be an X-tremeVision bulb which would explain the difference in brightness. Looks like I'll be changing the offside to a standard bulb next weekend for now so they match and I don't get stopped for a friendly chat by the local constabulary. Access to that side looks easier!

EDIT

I've just had a proper look at the offside bulb which is a Philips 12342LL bulb. This appears to be a long life bulb rather than one designed to give off more light. I can only guess the bulb I fitted must be a crappy one, it was one I had left over from a spare bulb kit I had in my previous van which didn't use H4's.

ANOTHER EDIT

Just looked again and the new nearside bulb I fitted has blacked and the glass has expanded, looks like the new bulb is at fault!
Amazingly I managed to change the dodgy nearside bulb this time without undoing a thing this time! I just took the top of the fusebox and was able to get the bulb out without causing any damage to my hand or arm. I think you just have to approach the back of the light from the correct angle!

I had it changed in a few minutes! I've put a Hella bulb in this time, this is the state of the unbranded one that I fitted after a fortnights use (though as I'm a sameday courier they have had quite a few hours use)!

[Image: 9706465627_695306b654.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post:
  • addo, Dunnock, RolyG
Definitely a case for Osram NightBreakers!!
That unbranded wonder has got air in the envelope
that's why the glass has started to melt.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • addo