Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average
Mk.II Standard rim size.
I have 15" rims on mine although I've seen the tyre dealers sites that state that 14" rims are standard....Which is right??

My speedo, as checked on my Sat-Nav, is pretty much spot on with 185x65x15 and if I was to change the rim size to 14" I would need a
slightly fatter section (195) which may be a tight fit under the rear wheel arches, or a 185x70x14 to retain the accuracy of the speedo using this calculator:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
I dont know if modern vehicles use the speedo drive from the wheels nowdays, i think there measured from the gearbox or electronically so dont think it would matter what wheel size ya running, i could be wrong am not that clued up on berlingos but have been a mechanic in the past and thought most cars are run this way now?
Yes, the speedo is electronic, not the old cable type. However, this would read the number of revolutions of the gearbox which would not equate with roadwheel revolutions if a different wheel/tyre size is used.

15" wheels were fitted as standard so the speedo etc would have been accurate +/- 10% as it left the factory.

If reducing the rolling circumference of your tyres your speedo will over read i.e. will indicate that you are travelling faster than you actually are. This will only be a negligible amount but will ensure that if you stick to the indicated speed, you won't get done for speeding !!
My bingo has 14" wheels as standard. The sticker on the door pillar and the handbook both state this. I wouldn't say 15" rims were standard!
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
Stick with the 15's, mine had 14's (175/65/14) on as standard but the ride is far smoother and handling better with 185/65/15, the speedo is a tad out, when I'm doing 70 by the speedo, sat nav says 73 so I just keep it a smidge under, no problem.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
The forte came with 14 inch wheels, the desire came with 15 inch.

So it depends which model you have to determine which wheel size was standard for the car.
(14-10-2011, 02:52 PM)divingscubaboy Wrote:  My bingo has 14" wheels as standard. The sticker on the door pillar and the handbook both state this. I wouldn't say 15" rims were standard!

You're right!! :thumbsup:
Nothing in my handbook in respect of size but the 'A' pillar sticker states 185 x 65 x 15 (88H)

Which beggars a question: Why have Citroen decided to change the size? Confusedcratch:
I don't understand what you are referring to there. The Berlingo brochure which I have from 2003 and used when I bought mine shows the forte model had 14 inch wheels and 175 tyres and the desire came with 15 inch and 185 tyres.

15 inch is the standard on the desire?
Mine is a 2006 1.6 diesel Desire. So I got the 15" wheels.
Then my query to which I would think only Citroen know the answer is why the different sizes for what is ostensibly the same vehicle? Confusedcratch:
Ive always thought it a bit odd why car manufacturers do fit different size wheels and tyres. Considering its one of the most important safety aspects, wider rubber and lower profile ratio's will in most circumstances equal greater grip and better handling but poorer ride quality. You would think that the manufacturer would settle on a happy medium and that would be that. I understand that high performance cars in a manufacturers range require additional grip etc but otherwise its just bling. In the case of the bingo the forte and desire can be exactly the same vehicle in terms of performance but in theory one could be safer than the other, how does that work?
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut: