Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.91 Average
Mk3 fuel consumption
Hi Guys,
I'm a new member as I'm v tempted by a Mk 3 1.6HDi Berlingo but wonder what the A-road fuel consumption is like in the real world (my current Caddy seems to fall short of what I expected so I mistrust manufacturers figures.) So I'm interested in what owners actually get.
Cheers
With my 110 hdi, if I cruise at 70-75 on't motorway, I get about 44mpg. If I keep the speed down to about 65 I get about 48mpg. In my local area of rural Essex pottering around in a 10mile radius of home I'm getting about 55mpg. This is reading the figures off the dashboard readout which appears accurate. Mine has 28k miles on't clock, the mpg has improved slightly as the engine has loosened up. This is using supermarket diesel mainly.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • BusterBoy
On my 110 HDi I've got 7500 km on the clock driving mostly country lanes and city. It has averaged 5.9 l/100km (47.9 mpg) overall so far according to the computer. I burn only Shell V-Power diesel.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • BusterBoy
I live at 1000ft altitude and go up and down about 4 times a day, travel around lanes and Bangor city and it returns about 44 on average. However on dual, motorways and a lanes i get about 50. I always always use cruise control as much as possible, driving on it, eg, using finger controls to go slower or faster and this boosts mpg by approx 5 mpg each time.....Mainly shell, sometimes supermarket....but on filling a tank up .5p less doesnt really make that much difference.
Always at least half full tank, so always heavy loaded, plus all my extras as photo, so not bad really.
Pete
still seriously considering selling and buying a landrover, due to where i live but cannot justify 25 mpg from one of them, not after the Berlingo......
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pch for this post:
  • BusterBoy
I've been using Fuelly since we got the Berlingo. 1.6 HDi 90, and it averages out at low to mid-40s. It doens't seem all that sensitive to type of driving - long treks down the motorway seem to return about the same as mostly short, local driving for us. Motorway cruising was always the best in previous cars, but with this one, I think the brick-like aerodynamics really pull the economy down when you get above 60.
Quite a lot of our driving is on twisty, hilly A and B roads round the lakes and dales. The 110hp expected economy is supposed to be slightly better but that wasn't available with the family pack, which seems rather silly. it would bring the tax bracket down, as with the family pack, the 90hp is just into the next bracket up from the 'normal' version. I'd agree with Opensauce that the economy has improved slightly as the miles have increased. But that may well be down to learning the dynamics of the car, rather than any loosening of the engine.
[Image: 33584.png]
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Guanajuato for this post:
  • BusterBoy
Fuelly?????? what is this?

I got late 39`s to 42 towing caravan at 60 on cruise from gretna to wales on M6, with 2 canoes on roof and 2 bikes on bike rack, wasnt half pleased with that....

does anyone know if using a device to boost effiency/power on a 90hp model will push it into lower tax bracket???? I doubt it but just wondered if worth the extra cost, also anyone using one REALLY notice mpg improvement?
Hi,
We haven't been very far in our XTR HDi110 as yet but it appears to be returning about 44-45 at dual carriageway cruising (without using the cruise control) travelling at an indicated 75 which relates to a GPS speedo reading of 70-71.
Around the village and on country roads it is approaching 50mpg.
Will be able to give a more accurate figure soon as we are travelling down the French Autoroutes to Toulon.
Yes, we have a GPS speedo mainly for use on the continent as neither of us can read the normal speedo easily - too far from the gereiatric eyeline I suppose.
Bonne Route,
Jim & Tracey

Berlingo XTR HDi110, Tivoli Blue, Modutop, MyWay etc etc
interesting...I use my satnav to give a true speed reading all the time as welsh coppers are bast--ds for speed cameras....
(05-09-2011, 12:46 PM)pch Wrote:  Fuelly?????? what is this?
Just a website for tracking fuel use. the banner comes from there.

(05-09-2011, 12:46 PM)pch Wrote:  does anyone know if using a device to boost effiency/power on a 90hp model will push it into lower tax bracket????
I doubt it too, as the tax bracket thing goes on specified test data for type approval, rather than data for an individual car. From what I understood at the time, the 110HP and 90HP were just inside the Band F (141-150 g/km) whereas the family pack takes the 90 into the 151-165 band. I guess because of the extra weight. it may have just been the 110 that's in band F.
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2