Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Multispace handling
Hi all, a newbie here, so forgive me if this is an old coconut.
I bought an 09 XTR two weeks ago, just back from its first long run. Its very civilised on the motorway, but it all falls apart on country roads. I actually took it back to the dealer after two days because I wasn't happy with the handling. They said that there was nothing wrong with it and asked me if I was new to the product! The answer is yes, but its a modern car and I kind of expected it to handle. I find that I have to make sure I always have the power on through corners or it gets very twitchy. It feels almost as if the power steering is too strong, keeps wanting to oversteer and develops a kind of unpleasant weaving motion on long corners. (Tyre pressures are correct) So the question is: is this normal? and can it be improved? At the end of the day I keep reminding myself that this is basically a van, and that perhaps its not meant to be pressed, but I would be most grateful to know whether this is indeed the case. Thanks
It's a van, you just need to slow down, or buy a sports car....
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to steve valentine for this post:
  • j90xxx, ron
XTR sounds sporty but it isn't - it stands for eXtra Tipping and Rolling. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
[Image: 108137.png]

Do not write below this line. Office use only.

As Steve says; it's a van, or at least a van with windows.
It's shaped like a brick, and handles like a boat.
It's basically a utility vehicle, you can't have it both ways.
I went from a Clio Sport to a Mk2 van. Think how I felt. Confusedillyme:
Had a glass dining table, four chairs and a coffee table in it last week.
This afternoon had a period fireplace, complete with surround and a gas fire.
Can't do that with a Clio. :thumbsup:
I am suitably chastised! Actually I quite like it, it certainly has character, and it carries the dogs and Gran's wheelchair with aplomb which no sports car would do, tows well too, so I am happy to live with it, just wanted some reassurance that this is the norm, which I guess I have now got! Thanks again.
Wasnt the Mk3 advertised as being designed AS a Multispace in the first place THEN available as a van? In that case they should have designed a bit of handling into it. I am not totally sure I agree with this "its a van so it dont handle" thing.There are many vans that are reported to handle very well. You just need to speak to half a dozen 'white van man'!!!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Baldricks Pilot for this post:
  • Muppet1
Yes these Xtr's do handle like boats. Nature of the beast I'm afraid. That's why i will not be getting another ever!!!
But they do make a long distance cruiser though.

I will be going back to a T5 when I have paid for this one.
I guess my memory (like a few other bits of me ) may be failing but I think I was told that it's a good idea to slow down for a bend then put the power on gently through it. I've always done that since entering a bend WAY too fast in my A35 van (now there's a van that didn't handle - esp on crossply tyres) and creating a van-sized hole in a hedge.
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to pidgeonpost for this post:
  • j90xxx, ron
(20-10-2012, 11:32 PM)pidgeonpost Wrote:  I guess my memory (like a few other bits of me ) may be failing but I think I was told that it's a good idea to slow down for a bend then put the power on gently through it. I've always done that since entering a bend WAY too fast in my A35 van (now there's a van that didn't handle - esp on crossply tyres) and creating a van-sized hole in a hedge.
Scary stuff ! Sound advice. I prefer a safer option when attempting topiary.lol.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to taxi for this post:
  • CaptainKirk, ron
yes they are funny vehicals, a bit of love and hate goes on, but when it comes to versatility you cant beat it for its size.
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to pch for this post:
  • j90xxx, philip, ron