Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
Multispace speed limits
What speed limits apply to the multispace? Is it restricted as a car derived van over 2 tonne? or do different limits apply to the van and multispace variants?
The Multispace is taxed as a car so car speed limits apply. I think there are lower speed limits applied to vans but drivers do not seem to stick to them judging by the amount of builder's Transits passing me at 80.
"Search" is your friend...............

Have a look here:-

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...peed+limit
Downhill, with a following wind...... the world is your lobster. Bloodhound move over....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Speed limits are the same as normal passenger cars for blingo cars and vans as they are either cars or car derived -vans.
(regardless of the origin of the MK3's chassis)
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
(16-10-2012, 07:43 PM)evdama Wrote:  Speed limits are the same as normal passenger cars for blingo cars and vans as they are either cars or car derived -vans.

Now that's not quite right, either. Confusedillyme:
The lower speed limit is to do with the gross weight, not whether it is a car-derived van.
Read the previous thread on speed limits (it got quite heated at one point...) and checkout the Direct Gov (or whatever they changed their name to these days) website. Confusedtudy:

Oh, and mine is taxed as a Goods Vehicle and pay £80 more a year than the same engined multispace.
(M/space is £135 a year, mine is £215.)
(16-10-2012, 07:43 PM)evdama Wrote:  Speed limits are the same as normal passenger cars for blingo cars and vans as they are either cars or car derived -vans.
And what car was the Berlingo (any model) derived from - remember the criteria is to be the same as the car it was derived from back to the "B" post.

But to be quite honest it is a very grey area and I can't imagine anyone ever enforcing it. In fact my V5 describes my van as 'car derived' when clearly it isn't.

As for the multispace - it is a 'van derived car' and as such will have the same speed limits as any car.

In fact, if any van has a seat in the back it becomes 'dual purpose' and attains car speed limits.

(16-10-2012, 08:32 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  Oh, and mine is taxed as a Goods Vehicle and pay £80 more a year than the same engined multispace.
This is an excellent point, and something I find really annoying. Why as van drivers are we not being encouraged to drive less polluting vehicles?
Regardless of the to-and fro-ing ,the original query was speed limits.

They are the same.

My lad had to do a speed awareness course,bless his little white cotton socks.

He came back philosphical of course, but also with the nugget that several van drivers were on the group .
The ROSPA instructor,ex traffic police, now also a driving instructor,explained at some length that in one or two specific cases, had been in a berlingo or kangoo they would have got away with it......
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
(16-10-2012, 08:32 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  Oh, and mine is taxed as a Goods Vehicle and pay £80 more a year than the same engined multispace.
My Multispace is in the £215 bracket. its because the extra weight of the family pack takes the emissions slightly over 150g/km. According to the DVLA website though, its should be £135. hmmmmm

Bit of a stealth tax increase on vans - For vans registered Between 1 March 2003 and 31 December 2006 (Euro 4) and Between 1 January 2009 and 31 December 2010 (Euro 5) the tax rate was the lower £135, but for new vans registered since then, its back to the 'standard' rate of £215. But it is odd that there's no incentive for owners to use more efficient vehicles.
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2
Ok.
To settle the argument about speed limits read this
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
To find out about RFL bands read this
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-vehicle-tax-rates