Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Need new wheel bolts
Hi, new member here (though I have been lurking around as an unregistered user for a while).

I went to take off a wheel on my 2009 MKII berlingo for the first time, couldn't get the thing off as the nuts seem to be slightly smaller than the citroen spanner & may be slightly rounded. Could someone please recommend a quality set of replacement wheel bolts, I'm using the original steel wheels. Most aftermarket bolts I looked at seem to be for alloys, I'm not sure whether they would work on steel wheels.

Cheers.
(17-03-2013, 08:21 PM)AbneyTeal Wrote:  Hi, new member here (though I have been lurking around as an unregistered user for a while).

I went to take off a wheel on my 2009 MKII berlingo for the first time, couldn't get the thing off as the nuts seem to be slightly smaller than the citroen spanner & may be slightly rounded. Could someone please recommend a quality set of replacement wheel bolts, I'm using the original steel wheels. Most aftermarket bolts I looked at seem to be for alloys, I'm not sure whether they would work on steel wheels.

Cheers.

Genuine Citroen Alloy wheels use "Flat shank Bolts"
Most, Not all aftermarket alloys and All steel wheels for Citroen use "Tapered shank Bolts" :thumbsup:
M49 Berlingos have 19mm heads on the wheelbolts

M59 Berlingos have 17mm heads, have you got the correct wheelbrace?

Peter
Thanks for the fast replies.

The wheel nut sizes you quote RomaPete would make sense as I used to have the M49 van and remember the wheel nuts being more substantial than the current ones.

I've had the car since 1 year old & it came with the original wheelbrace, its probably never been used. Maybe they were overtightened at the last service.

If I were to buy aftermarket tapered shank bolts (ideally with larger heads), would they be suitable for my steel wheels? Do you happen to know the bolt length?

Thanks
They don't cost much for original Citroen bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
I bought some original Ford bolts for a car I had and they were about £1 each, check what originals are from the manufacturer as above before you start looking round for alternatives.
So where does this bit go then ?
I would suggest you go to a Citroen main dealer for your wheel bolts to ensure you have correct type. Give them chassis number of car to ensure correct model. You need absolutely to have correct size wheel brace. It is better to buy a breaker bar & correct size impact socket from Halfords rather than use wheelbrace supplied with car.
I wouldnt use the Citroen wheelbrace anyway it is made of quite soft metal and is a rubbish fit - if a tyre fitter tightened your wheelnuts I doubt that you would get them undone with it.

A good quality hex socket and a torque wrench for tightening, but for undoing I use a "Tbar"

Hope this helps
Bolts are superseded; new part number 16 087 344 80 French price €2,13 HT.

I'm sure you could mix and match originals and supersession parts; I've no idea of the reason they were revised.
We have an extending wrench with a reversible socket in the car and it makes the job of changing wheels much easier.
[Image: 927491?$PDP_MAIN$]
So where does this bit go then ?