Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing a caravan with a Berlingo XTR
I'm getting near to retirement and one of the car options I've come up with is a new 2015 Berlingo XTR but unsure if it would have the pulling power to tow my 2015 Eriba Nova Light 465?
Below is a link the spec sheet of my caravan.
http://www.eriba.com/en/models/eriba/eri...ZKf20ZRLOQ

At present I tow with a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe (company car that will be returned when I retire).

Any advice?

David
I believe that it will, especially if you do not load your caravan at maximum capacity (so it weighs max. 1300kg instead of 1400kg, as 1300kg is the max braked weight specified by the manufacturer).
You have to choose the 115bhp engine as the extra power will make a difference when pulling. Or, if you really intend to buy new, the 120bhp with 6-speed gearbox comes out this autumn, you should maybe wait for that one as you get more power and the 6th gear will probably make a real difference when cruising.

To really see an approximation of what you can expect and play with weights and engine powers I suggest you go here: http://www.towcar.info/

You can alter the payload there (after the first 2-3 pages) for both car and caravan. You can alter the car's kerb weight, engine power and the torque as well (with figures from Parker's or other sites) which is handy as they don't have the later 115bhp or 120bhp HDi models to pre-select.

You can also see user comments about towing with the Berlingo. If you value user comments don't forget to also read the comments for the Peugeot Partner Tepee which is the same car.
2013 Partner Tepee Outdoor, 1.6 HDi, 115bhp, dob: 13/06/2013
According to http://www.towcar.info , the Berlingo should be OK for towing your caravan, just as long as you keep within the 1300kg limit as @CorTepee says

It has 4 out of 5 stars for Towing ability
Thank's CorTepee.
I don't actually retire until start of December this year so the 120bhp 6 speed looks the better option.
I did look at the Peugeot Partner Tepee but it did not seem to have the same towing capacity as the Berlingo, do they in fact have same limit?

David
As far as I know they are the same car except for badging, the bonnet and grille shape and some items of the interior trim.
After looking at part numbers and diagrams on the Peugeot and Citroen Service websites I think engines, transmission, chassis and suspension are the same therefore towing should be the same.

Of course I have not compared each part number so I could be mistaken.
2013 Partner Tepee Outdoor, 1.6 HDi, 115bhp, dob: 13/06/2013