Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
New Berlingo owner - Some problems!
Ok, after a bit of research on the internet, if the leak isn't coming from the timing belt cover (upper) then the other area which looks quite oily was where the EXHAUST OUTLET TURBO PIPE joins the turbo. See the bottom of this image where the pipe loops out of the turbo at the bottom of the image:

[Image: normal_DW10TD.jpg]

Should I be worried if oil is leaking here? It's not a vast amount, nothing dropping on the floor or anything but the engine tray is pretty caked in layers and layers or dry oily stuff.
Are there bits of carbon in the oily stuff?
I never looked, how large will the bits of carbon be? What is it a sign of? Starting to regret buying a turbo'd diesel now, seems very complicated!
Carbon in the gunk is a sign of a leaky injector.

They look like little lumps almost like the lumps you get in wood chip wall paper
Just to say that I sorted the issue with the door not opening (from the inside or outside) today.

In reference to this thread; http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/archive/i...-2389.html it was 'external opening control rod' 49 causing the problem. It has a threaded end to the rod which you can unclip and move left or right and in its current configuration it was stopping the the little knob which you can use to manually lock/unlock the door when the door card is on, going all the way up to unlock.

I just disconnected the threaded end of the rod from it's clip, moved the section it attached to rightwards until the door would lock and then clipped the threaded bit back into it's clip and all was good. Not a very sturdy clip though considering it gets moved a lot every time the door is opened. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes wrong again.

I found this photo on the internet and it already had writing on it but I've put a red circle around the threaded section that can be adjusted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's very rare to get a 2.0hdi with blowing injectors, done 1 in ten yrs vs 101 of the 1.6hdis so i'd not be too worried...

As for the oil leak, it's very common on turbo diesels to get oil in the intake system, it then finds every join and weeps out slowly, the top of the cambelt covers is the camshaft seal not crank, the crank is at the bottom of the engine, to be honest if it's not dripping oil all over the place I wouldn't worry overly about it as all diesel turbo engines tend to have oil find it's way into the inlet system and it's not worth the wedge to fix it in all honesty...

As for your door it may be worth lubricating the door mechanism so everything's nice and free, normall they tend to get stuff and it loads bits up far more causing extra load where it shouldn't Wink
The crank AND the camshaft oil seals were leaking when I changed the timing belt. The camshaft seal more so than the other but I changed them both, so all good now.

Some of the oil was definitely leaking from one of the breather pipes on the rocker cover and then running down the pipes to the turbo behind the engine and caking the turbo in oil. Looks like it's happened slowly over time. I've cleaned it all off and put jubilee clips on the breather pipe in question. Hopefully that'll solve it.

Sorted the door stuff as stated above but already have a new problem - Tailgate won't lock on central locking. Will look into it this week. I've also got a knocking when turning the engine off/on. Thought it was the gearbox engine mount but replaced that and it's still happening. Guess it *could* be the lower one but it doesn't look perished. Any other ideas? Reminds me of a worn bush when I go over bumps. Could do with a diagram off all the bushes and mounts so I know where to check, it's a pain taking the undertray on and off because it's held on with cable ties!