Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
petrol/diesel (I know, sorry..)
All my four Berlingos have been diesel, with no DPF problems. As I've now retired, my mileage has gone down dramatically but I do go to France and the Netherlands two or three times a year, which gives the car a long run on motorway and autoroutes. At least you can drive constantly for many miles at 70 or 80mph on the autoroutes, unlike on our crowded motorways. Pity you have to pay tolls! The diesel v petrol scenario is becoming very interesting, with Paris promising to ban diesels from the city. Talk of London doing the same, too. BTW, I'm already getting over 50mpg on my new diesel. And diesel is cheaper than unleaded in France, of course. Sometimes wish I lived over there. Or maybe not...
Hi TJH have you tried looking for the Peugeot partner tepee as well, there seems to be more petrol ones of these about secondhand.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(18-02-2015, 09:08 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Hi TJH have you tried looking for the Peugeot partner tepee as well, there seems to be more petrol ones of these about secondhand.

I just don't like the look of it, for some reason. I know it's extremely similar to the Citroen, but...

Thanks for the suggestion though.
(18-02-2015, 08:52 PM)tezzerh Wrote:  The diesel v petrol scenario is becoming very interesting, with Paris promising to ban diesels from the city. Talk of London doing the same, too.

I read somewhere that it was the older diesels that they were thinking of banning because of the soot they pump out, but the ones with a DPF would be unaffected at the moment, but this may change in the future

quote from one article about the Paris ban
"Also on this summer’s hit list are cars registered before 31 December 1996 and vans and light trucks registered before 30 September 1997.
According to French media reports, these restrictions will become progressively tighter over the rest of this decade until 2020, when the only private vehicles allowed to drive in central Paris will be cars registered after 2011 and motorcycles registered after July 2015."

Another quote from a different article
"Petrol cars registered before 2006 are likely to have to pay extra charges, although diesel vehicles meeting the Euro 6 emissions standard will be exempt."

The Euro 6 emission standard is supposed to be on all new diesels sold from 1st January 2015
My early mkIII (2008) 1.6 diesel doesn't have a DPF, the slight increase in road fund licence is worth it to me.

As for turbo failures, if the correct oil and filter changes have been done regularly so that there is no sludge build up, the chances of failure seem slight.

I like the way the diesel drives, lots of torque and low reving but I do think the days of the diesel are numbered. More petrol engines will also have turbos in the future so I'm not sure that long term reliability will be any better.
Oh, I don't know. I've had at least 4 petrol turbo cars on their original turbos with over 200k miles on. My Audi TT has 152k on it on it's original turbo, uses no oil or water and still makes 227bhp on the rollers - 2 more than its supposed to :-)
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"