Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New Tyres,what make to go for?
My XTR is in need of new tyres,but,I don't want to replace them with Michelin's that were factory fitted.
I've never really been a fan of Michelin's,so I'm thinking Good-Year or Dunlop,so who has replaced there tyres recently and for what?

BTW,I am on the original tyres and the car has done over 60,00km,but,I do fit winter tyres from November till March (or April this year,the winter has just dragged on and on and on...............).
2010 XTR in black with bells and whistles

[Image: 5A50i.jpg]
I have used B.F. Goodrich & Bridgestone in the past (not on Berlingos) & found them good.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • XTR
Had Toyo Proxes CF1 on front for about 35,000 miles. They were excellent in all weathers and coped with the January snow when down to 2mm tread!
Before Christmas had Bridgestone Ecopia on the back as my local tyre fitters had stopped selling Toyo because of supply issues.
Then replaced the Toyo on the front in February with Uniroyal RainExpert, as although my fitters had started selling Toyo again, they couldn't get my size for a month. :brickwall:
The Bridgestone don't get brilliant reviews (I found out afterwards), but seem fine so far.
The Uniroyal ('The Rain Tyre') do exactly what they say on the tin, although not done enough miles for a serious review.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to j90xxx for this post:
  • XTR
On the basis of the excellent winter tyres I've been running, will go with Kumhos when the Michelins need replacing
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nicebiscuit for this post:
  • XTR
Verdestein are very good I paid £90 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to philip for this post:
  • XTR
Can agree with verdestein had them on my Audi cab and were very good.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to eame64 for this post:
  • XTR
Do you want to buy on price or brand? I don't think the top price brands are any better than cheaper well known brands tbh. I think the likes of Michelin, Conti etc can get away with their high prices because they are oe fitment so drivers just think they are better. When I changed mine last yr the oe Michelins were cracked in the treads but I got 33k miles out of them because I used all 5 swapping around regularly.

I shopped around the online suppliers & found Avons from tyreshopper for £93 each fitted & got 5, delivered to & fitted by a local National tyre depot who would have charged £120 each for same tyres. They have done 10k miles now & wearing well so at least as good as the Michelins. Do you have a competitive tyre market in Belg. with online suppliers & mobiles like e-tyres as well as Euromaster depots etc? I would go for cheapest deal of well known brands. I suppose from where you are(is it nr Liege?)you could pop into Germany for them if they are cheaper there. Unless you are coming over to UK then one of the online suppliers should be cheapest.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • XTR
(21-05-2013, 01:25 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  Do you want to buy on price or brand? I don't think the top price brands are any better than cheaper well known brands tbh. I think the likes of Michelin, Conti etc can get away with their high prices because they are oe fitment so drivers just think they are better. When I changed mine last yr the oe Michelins were cracked in the treads but I got 33k miles out of them because I used all 5 swapping around regularly.

I shopped around the online suppliers & found Avons from tyreshopper for £93 each fitted & got 5, delivered to & fitted by a local National tyre depot who would have charged £120 each for same tyres. They have done 10k miles now & wearing well so at least as good as the Michelins. Do you have a competitive tyre market in Belg. with online suppliers & mobiles like e-tyres as well as Euromaster depots etc? I would go for cheapest deal of well known brands. I suppose from where you are(is it nr Liege?)you could pop into Germany for them if they are cheaper there. Unless you are coming over to UK then one of the online suppliers should be cheapest.

I was actually going to order them online and have them fitted in Ipswich a few weeks ago,but our mechanic said he could get them at a good price through the company and I wouldn't have to pay the VAT.
That never materialised and so I have now found a local tyre dealer who will supply four Good-Year's for just over €400,which is a pretty good deal.
2010 XTR in black with bells and whistles

[Image: 5A50i.jpg]
I always use Falken ZE912.
Good all around performance at at sensible price.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • XTR
I would go for Verdestein tyres or Michelins, I had a Passat a few years ago and I towed my caravan with it and when I bought the car it had cheap tyres on it(sunnys I think) and when you pulled out of junctions with the caravan on it would spin the wheels all the time, I bought a set of Verdesteins and could not believe the difference and it never spun the wheels once and they are actually quite cheap compared to Michelins but I would say the later would last a lot longer so if your on a budget get the Verdesteins and if you can afford it go for the Michelins.