Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Noisy tappets, I think.
Have a lightish rattle coming from the top of the engine I think it's the tappets. Does anyone have any experience of such problems and also changing them? It's an 05 2.0 with 205k on the clock.... Thanks!
Won't be tappits try thicker oil might quiten it down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assuming it's the 'tappets' causing the noise, the valve clearances are hydraulically derived and thus, generally speaking, not adjustable.
If the vehicle has done 205k then, I would suspect general wear to either camshaft or valve gear.
I think the best way around this is to fit another complete cylinder head that is newer and has less wear.
Thicker oil may quieten the problem but it may not be very good for the turbo-charger. Is the oil level OK?
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • Andre
You can go to 10w40 without bother on the 2.0 (if you're not using it already). Another thing it might be is sticky injectors. The 2.0HDi can suffer from this, particularly at high mileage. Get a decent cleaner, such as Forte, and see if that helps. When you treat it, remove the fuel filter and half fill with the treatment and put the rest in the tank, this followed by an Italian Tune Up might just help.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • Andre, RolyG
(28-08-2012, 08:41 AM)Alex b Wrote:  Have a lightish rattle coming from the top of the engine I think it's the tappets. Does anyone have any experience of such problems and also changing them? It's an 05 2.0 with 205k on the clock.... Thanks!

I came across this problem many times as a mechanic.Try changing the oil & filter with a good quality oil to right spec.You can,& I would,use an engine flush such as Forte motor flush,but a lot of folk don't agree with using it in HDi engines.Do you know the history of the vehicle?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I've changed the oil and filter with a forte flush along with another additive for the fresh oil which claims to release clagged oil from moving parts.... It's fsh with services every 10k I'm going to take the cover off this weekend and see what I find.
Good luck,let us know how you get on.I would also say that if you used a good quality oil,you don't need additives.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Well, I eventually got it solved. The first diagnosis was by the garage owner. He essentially said. Get good break down cover and run it till it blows.

Took it for an mot and his son said it's the crank shaft pulley £50 later and the noise has gone.

Sorry it took a while to reply!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Alex b for this post:
  • CandR
Glad you've found the problem, it is sods law that the noise was coming from the other end of the engine.

:thumbsup: