Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Not the owner, just the bloke who fixes it
My wife recently bought a mk2 hdi 75 Multispace, and it falls to me to maintain it. My name is Stuart, and I'm a BMW man myself.

I'm not sure, but I think she may have bought wrong 'un. Typical woman, she bought the first one she saw because it was in our town and she didn't want to waste time looking at any more than she deemed necessary. :brickwall:

Anyway, part from only having 7 days tax and 6 months MOT, the Berlingo (I discovered after she bought it) was due a full service and needed discs and pads. Today, having done the oil & filter and discs & pads, I discover it never goes above 70deg on the temp. guage. So I've held-back on doing the air and fuel filters and will do them at the same time as the thermostat - when I get one.

I'm away now to ask a few questions in the tech. section.
Hello Stuart welcome to the forum not a good start it may not be all bad news you can get a lot of info on here and you can do most of it your self no big garage bill's next time make sure you go with her :whistle: :thumbsup:
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Least its piece of mind knowing the brakes are brand new.

I would also change the coolant as part of the service , it might just be a dodgy temperature gauge

I always give a new to me second hand car a full service as soon as I have bought it as you have very little idea when it was last done and it gives you a starting point for the next service.

Don't blame the missus too much sounds like theres less wrong with it then when I bought mine!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to homeruk for this post:
  • ron, royboy302
Thanks for the welcome. Smile

(02-08-2014, 09:19 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  next time make sure you go with her :whistle: :thumbsup:
Hopefully there won't be a next time. She's planning on retiring in a few years and as long as this car lasts until then she won't replace it and we'll just have my 330d as she then won't need a car on a day-to-day basis.

(02-08-2014, 10:52 PM)homeruk Wrote:  Least its piece of mind knowing the brakes are brand new.
You're right there, of course. TBH while I was doing that I did start to wonder how well the Berlingo has been looked after. The pads were nearly new but the discs must have been well past their best for quite a while.

(02-08-2014, 10:52 PM)homeruk Wrote:  I would also change the coolant as part of the service
I'll be doing that later this week, when I change the 'stat.
(03-08-2014, 07:34 AM)StuBeeDoo Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome. Smile

(02-08-2014, 09:19 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  next time make sure you go with her :whistle: :thumbsup:
Hopefully there won't be a next time. She's planning on retiring in a few years and as long as this car lasts until then she won't replace it and we'll just have my 330d as she then won't need a car on a day-to-day basis.

(02-08-2014, 10:52 PM)homeruk Wrote:  Least its piece of mind knowing the brakes are brand new.
You're right there, of course. TBH while I was doing that I did start to wonder how well the Berlingo has been looked after. The pads were nearly new but the discs must have been well past their best for quite a while.

(02-08-2014, 10:52 PM)homeruk Wrote:  I would also change the coolant as part of the service
I'll be doing that later this week, when I change the 'stat.

Change the timing belt too, as you don't know if it has ever been changed unless the seller told your missus that it had been done and gave her the receipt.
Good ^^^ point. She said the seller told her it's been done. I know it's in the service book, but I haven't checked for an invoice. IIRC it was (allegedly) done around 80k and the car's done 96k now.