Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oil leak on 1.9 diesel
Hi all today I brought a Berlingo van 2002 1.9D. Always been a bit wary of french cars but so far it seems good after 100 miles of driving. I went for the straight diesel as its alot more reliable and less to go wrong lol.

Only thing wrong is a oil leak down the back of the engine. I already knew this and got it cheap with 88k miles so thought i'l buy it and fix it. Oil leaks have always been one of my pet hates. Got it on the ramps on the drive and it looks like its coming from the top of the engine as its wet near the top when I look up with a torch. Am I right in thinking the only possible place it could leak near the top is the rocker cover gasket? Where else can it leak from besides there and sump gasket? Im guessing there is a oil pressure switch somewhere too?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Also one last thing which isn't too much bother and thats the rev counter doesn't work. Sometimes moves a tiny bit when you rev it. But oil leak is more important at the minute.
Hi and welcome, rocker gasket is a likely culprit. I'd make sure the crankcase breather is clear and the cover is torqued up properly first. Then clean up the area and check for leaks again. You'll be able to pinpoint its location then.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to adam3rdcanvey for this post:
  • paulmlpss, ron
For cost of the gasket sealer or gasket I think il change it. Am I right in thinking there are 2 gaskets on the rocker cover? I had a quick look without taking the inlet manifold off and I can see silicone gasket but I have found rubber gaskets for sale so not sure if its ment to have a proper gasket?
Yep there is upper and lower covers, I got mine from euro carparts, and stuck in place with a tiny bit of sealer, is quite fiddly!

Ok thanks will get some monday and keep you updated. Best start at the top and work my way down lol.
Sounds fun! Enjoy, give the manifold a good clean when its off, and the horrible egr will be gummed up too no doubt!

Oh is it simular to my old vectra diesel? That had butterfly swirl flaps and got covered in gunk and a right job to clean. Just ordered the gaskets and a bit of sealer to hold it in place while putting it back together. Be glad when its not leaking so I can park it on the drive lol. Its only my fishing wagon Smile
Absolutely... Thick black tar! Chokes it right up and reduces mpg...

Yeah thats the stuff horrible to get off lol. Think il have a bash at it saturday or maybe start it during the week. Thanks for your help.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to paulmlpss for this post:
  • adam3rdcanvey
(15-03-2014, 09:14 PM)paulmlpss Wrote:  Oh is it simular to my old vectra diesel? That had butterfly swirl flaps and got covered in gunk and a right job to clean. Just ordered the gaskets and a bit of sealer to hold it in place while putting it back together. Be glad when its not leaking so I can park it on the drive lol. Its only my fishing wagon Smile

Fishing wagon?Wouldn't a boat be better?Confusedcratch::whistle:
To clean off the gunge,try a body shop for old cellulose thinners(usually free) or gun wash.Don't get it near paint though.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy