Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
turbo boost problem
Hi my 1.6 HDI has no turbo boost.It was losing boost slowly but tried Wynns turbo cleaner, that worked a treat for a couple of weeks then started losing boost again. I checked the actuator with a vacuum pump and that seemed fine then replaced the small elbow shaped vacuum tube........now no boost at all. Tried following pipe back but lost it by the engine block. Anyone know it's route? I'm thinking vacuum leak but also the engine rattled under throttle but that has stopped at the same time as the boost. I'm thinking possible catalytic converter meltdown. Any ideas? Cheers
Sounds like you have checked a few obvious issues on you car, it will be difficult to pinpoint the problem without a diagnostic check. The vacuum pipe you cannot trace goes above the gearbox and around the back of the engine to a brown solenoid just above the driveshaft centre joint.These do fail quite often, but so do lots of other things, so at £48 ish, it's a bit pricey to just try for fun.
Have you checked the turbo for an issues, it's easy to pop the black pipe off and take a look at for excessive play or damage.

(27-09-2013, 06:23 PM)Spankey Wrote:  Hi my 1.6 HDI has no turbo boost.It was losing boost slowly but tried Wynns turbo cleaner, that worked a treat for a couple of weeks then started losing boost again. I checked the actuator with a vacuum pump and that seemed fine then replaced the small elbow shaped vacuum tube........now no boost at all. Tried following pipe back but lost it by the engine block. Anyone know it's route? I'm thinking vacuum leak but also the engine rattled under throttle but that has stopped at the same time as the boost. I'm thinking possible catalytic converter meltdown. Any ideas? Cheers
Hi,thanks for the reply. Yeah I've checked the turbo and it seemed ok. Diagnostic reader reads underfoot and low her but I've got that blanked so no surprise on that one after spraying some more cleaner in rechecked codes, showed excessive egr. I don't know if that was because I had the inlet pipe off the turbo to spray the cleaner in?! What do you think about the cat theory?
Never known a cat go wrong, and I have a non dpf C3, with 305000 miles on the clock, still on its original cat.

(27-09-2013, 08:02 PM)Spankey Wrote:  Hi,thanks for the reply. Yeah I've checked the turbo and it seemed ok. Diagnostic reader reads underfoot and low her but I've got that blanked so no surprise on that one after spraying some more cleaner in rechecked codes, showed excessive egr. I don't know if that was because I had the inlet pipe off the turbo to spray the cleaner in?! What do you think about the cat theory?
Sorry that was supposed to read underboost. And low egr pressure. Damon predictive text.

(27-09-2013, 08:06 PM)Spankey Wrote:  Sorry that was supposed to read underboost. And low egr pressure. Damon predictive text.

The rattling under throttle stopping at the same time as no boost could suggest a blockage do you think? I had fixed the heat shield and air box rattle but couldn't find anything else loose. Any way to check for blockages other than dropping cat out?
Well drove the van today and boost was back! Only went a few miles but noticed boost dropping off the further I went an a throatier sound from the exhaust. I'm thinking build up of back pressure. Could be a partially blocked exhaust system. Any ideas would be great.
Why not weld in an extra bung to the down pipe before your cat, and pipe off to a pressure gauge?
(28-09-2013, 10:49 AM)addo Wrote:  Why not weld in an extra bung to the down pipe before your cat, and pipe off to a pressure gauge?

Unfortunately not great with a welder.....now if it was wood....being a carpenter that would be great ha ha. Thanks for for the reply I will look in to it. Might just get it checked out and replace as needed. Cheers chap.
SOLVED!!! Got an actuator vacuum solenoid from the scrappy for a tenner and the van drives like new. The solenoid is at the back of the engine underneath and to the left of the air box, just follow the vacuum pipe back to it. A mirror and a torch is handy. Look for a brown thing with three vacuum pipes coming from it.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Spankey for this post:
  • polar