Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering pump ?
Hi again
 176k now on my little Blingo and the steering feels a tad stiff/weird when its first started up for a few miles then it's much better,had it to my mechanic and he shoved it on the MOT ramp,shook it to bits,spun this,turned that,nothing suspension related at all,no rack leaks but he did reckon the steering fluid ponged burnt ?? I'm away for a break friday so will be leaving it in his hands to do as seen fit (within reason obviously)
He suggested changing the oil ?? no history of it been changed up to me getting her at 38k and I've not done it,I was thinking the pump ? and if it's a pump consensus is there anything else to change while he's in there,auxiliary pulley's etc,the vans got a living to earn and I'd rather get the lot changed while I'm off the road than have some of the work to pay for a few miles down the line.
 thanks for your time. Ian.
[Image: smokingdog-1.gif]

Berlingo First,75bhp 1.6hdi,58 plate....225k and counting.
Good idea to change the fluid also check the universal joint on the bottom of the steering column as the tend to dry out from engine heat and seize up. get some lube onto it and turn steering lock to lock.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • sherpataylor
(03-02-2016, 08:52 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Good idea to change the fluid also check the universal joint on the bottom of the steering column as the tend to dry out from engine heat and seize up. get some lube onto it and turn steering lock to lock.

You were spot on with the diagnosis Tomcat3 Big Grin Big Grin  the garage that does my servicing changed the fluid and I still wasn't happy,the more dry days i had the worse it got,really notchy just lane swapping etc (the more I thought about it,what you said made sense) I tried the wd40 initially yesterday and today it's back to new,lovely and smooth,not wrestling it off roundabouts etc, I LOVE this forum  Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart ..Ian

ps. I know that wd's not the best long term,is it advisable to lubricate it with something better ??

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ians_lingo for this post:
  • Tomcat3
Yes WD evaporates quickly and the effect is temporary.

These days I'm getting fond of aerosol grease ( often silicone ) containing PTFE, cheap and blooming effective.
I get mine in the motor factors.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • ians_lingo, ron
(17-03-2016, 05:44 PM)geoff Wrote:  Yes WD evaporates quickly and the effect is temporary.

These days I'm getting fond of aerosol grease ( often silicone ) containing PTFE, cheap and blooming effective.
I get mine in the motor factors.

Well said Geoff.I use M/cycle chain lube aerosol.It flows into the bearings & then sets.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • ians_lingo
(03-02-2016, 08:52 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Good idea to change the fluid also check the universal joint on the bottom of the steering column as the tend to dry out from engine heat and seize up. get some lube onto it and turn steering lock to lock.

Were is the bottom of steering column,looked all over engine bay can't see it..? Mine a bit stiff to.is it inside the car??
If you look down behind the engine block where the column comes out you will see the u/j knuckle, on the petrol engines there is a bit of room but the diesels especially the hdi`s its a bit crowded but you can get your hand down there with a can of lube or if you got ramps its easy as long as the undertray is removed.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Its well hidden then I've looked and looked? Can't see nothing coming out of the bulk head,only pipes,will have another look..cheers..
(18-03-2016, 03:22 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  Its well hidden then I've looked and looked? Can't see nothing coming out of the bulk head,only pipes,will have another look..cheers..

lean in from drivers side,your arm and an oil can (thats what i used) easily reach down to it,the knuckle is only just through the bulkhead,the difference in mine is amazing,too many motorway miles(185000) with hardly any lock to lock stuff,it just started last month and steadily got worse,difficult to diagnose in winter as when it's wet with the spray it worked fine,not rained for last 7 days so it was bad enough to make me have a gander,,

Can u get from underneath? Just can't see anything from the top,? Its 2lt hdi 06 plate.and can see brake servo,pipes,but can't even see steering column coming out of the bulk head..just no room at the back of the engine,?.