Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Problems locking the car
I have a 2003, 53 reg, Berlingo Desire.

About 9 months ago I had the common problem of the buttons on my key falling out. First one then the other. No problem, as I just pushed the little micro-switches with my fingernail.
Then the locking micro-switch somehow fell out and disappeared.

So, for the past 3 months or so, I've been unlocking the car remotely, but locking it with the key in the driver's door.

About 2 weeks ago however, turning the key in the lock just locks the driver's door, and doesn't activate the central locking. I have to unlock again and then turn the key more forcefully. Usually locks everything by the third attempt.

Is there some sort of contact inside that needs cleaning, and is this easily done?

And, apart from going to a dealer and paying a lot for a new key, what are my remote key options?

I've seen this one on ebay, but is there some issue with replacement keys like this not working on Berlingos built after 2002?

Thanks for any help.
Have a search on google for key fob repairs you would be suprised what can be repaired instead of a new remote. Ive even seen remote fobs that have been driven over repaired. Cases, circuit boards and micro switches can be replaced. Have a search on the site someone may have even recommended a firm.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • eyelight
(23-09-2012, 11:37 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Have a search on google for key fob repairs you would be suprised what can be repaired instead of a new remote. Ive even seen remote fobs that have been driven over repaired. Cases, circuit boards and micro switches can be replaced. Have a search on the site someone may have even recommended a firm.

Thanks. Google has turned up a host of companies doing this.
I'll check some of them out.

Anyone know anything about electrical contacts inside the driver's door lock?
Hi, if it's just stated doing this it could be a broken wire in the flexible rubber bit near the hinges.
With the door shut and you press the door lock peg down, do the rest of the locks operate?
If not, open the door and waggle the rubber tube about while operating the lock. Also unscrew the electrical connector attached to the door and make sure there's no corrosion etc. If it's getting harder to operate lock - have a look inside the door for loose mountings etc. It could be that the lock is starting to wear.

6207 is the drivers lock, Wire No.6292 is the lock/unlock switch. Confusedalut:

[Image: 21jzno8.png]
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • eyelight
My 'open' button fell off the key of my Peugeot Partner and was missing on my present Berlingo.What I do is carefully saw a slice off a pencil and drop the section into the socket,then cover with a square of duck tape, it works.If you extend the tape up to the 'close' button it helps prevent that button falling out too.The tape doesnt make the key look very nice, but at least youll have a functional remote without the need for fingernails or other probes.
(25-09-2012, 07:43 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Hi, if it's just stated doing this it could be a broken wire in the flexible rubber bit near the hinges.
With the door shut and you press the door lock peg down, do the rest of the locks operate?
If not, open the door and waggle the rubber tube about while operating the lock. Also unscrew the electrical connector attached to the door and make sure there's no corrosion etc. If it's getting harder to operate lock - have a look inside the door for loose mountings etc. It could be that the lock is starting to wear.

6207 is the drivers lock, Wire No.6292 is the lock/unlock switch. Confusedalut:

[Image: 21jzno8.png]

Thanks for that.
Sorry I've been away and haven't checked back here lately.
I'll mark it solved just to keep things tidy on the forum, but I haven't gone to check this yet.
Sounds like my problem though.
Door getting hard to lock. Some days good, some days bad. Door closes fine, but keep getting that scrolling message on the radio readout saying "Right Door Open".
And then the central locking won't work.

Must investigate as I'm going to be away for the next few weeks and don't want to leave my wife with a car that won't lock.
If your getting the door open message then check the switch on the door hinge post. The one with rubber cover over it. Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool